Notices

Iceland's Ring Road

Mar 15th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Iceland's Ring Road

Hello all!

Just wanted to start by saying thanks for all your helpful conversations so far! I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the ring road in Iceland. We are planning to go in late August/early September. We were wondering how long it takes (if your not rushing too much), and about how much it has cost people to do this trip. We love to camp, cook our own food, and we are intrigued by the idea of staying in quirky farm homes along the way.

Also - does anyone have advice on booking excursions vs. doing them on your own?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

Best,
Michelle
Mar 15th, 2009, 12:59 PM

Took me 2 weeks - and that included one "night" where I was putting up the tent at midnight

As to price - well it was so expensive that you were driven to drink, only to discover that alcohol was REALLY expensive.

Should be much cheaper this year though - merely extortionate
Mar 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM

It really all depends on your travel style. A lot of people do it in a week but that is a rush. I would suggest two weeks is a reasonable minimum but personally I would want to take it slower. Recognise that there are a number of interesting locations off Highway 1, such as the Jökulsárgljúfur National Park and east fjords, not to mention the west fjords.

In terms of excursions I would say avoid excursions with the exception of those involving F roads for which 4WD would be required.

Search this Thread