Notices

Iceland what to see

Feb 4th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Iceland what to see

So, I'm a Brit and never bee able to afford to visit Iceland. Now the country is in crisis and about to join the euro I have a window of about 4 months when I can still afford to go.

One week to 10 days, what are the must does?
Feb 4th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

in june
Feb 4th, 2009, 09:12 AM

I was there 6 years ago in April and the weather was sunny and the days were long.

We took a one day Golden Circle bus tour which was great(I especially liked Thingvillir) - this tour can be easily done with a rental car. All we were able to see on the bus tour were the highlights of the southwest of the country - it was spectacular. Reykjavik is easily done in a day. And the Blue Lagoon spa is great evening experience - it is close to the airport. At the time I was there Reykjavik was a weekend party getaway for British kids.

I do wonder how welcome the country presently is towards foreigners. I was frankly surprised by footage of riot like conditions on the news recently.

I once read that a majority of the people of Iceland believe in the existence of sprites and fairies and after seeing this wonderful place I am totally onboard with them.
Feb 5th, 2009, 03:57 AM

jsb4506,

I do wonder how welcome the country presently is towards foreigners. I was frankly surprised by footage of riot like conditions on the news recently.

Bear in mind that most news broadcasts these days are more interested in sensation than accuracy.

From what I can gather the riots have included really desperate actions like throwing cartons of skyr and rolls of toilet paper at the parliament building. Extreme though that may be by Icelandic standards I reckon Iceland remains one of the safest countries in the world to visit.

Having said that the usual advice about avoiding getting caught up in demonstrations is probably sound, although I suspect that if you did you may find the locals more interested in telling you about their country's problem than harming you.

Search this Thread