Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Iceland Road Trip Sept. 24 - Oct. 4
Notices

Iceland Road Trip Sept. 24 - Oct. 4

Aug 3rd, 2016, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Iceland Road Trip Sept. 24 - Oct. 4

I've been researching a lot of road trip itineraries for our trip to Iceland in late September. We wanted to catch the end of the "busy season" so that things would still be open, but also be able to catch better views of the Northern Lights.

We plan to drive the ring road, stopping along the way, but my question is whether we should start our first day (we land at 6 a.m.) and get to driving, as I would imagine things will be more closed up when we get back around to Reykjavik and Reykjavik would be more open year round?

Based on the week we are going, should we go clockwise, or counter-clockwise? Is 10 days long enough to do the Ring Road, as well as stop in the West Fjords and Snaefellsnes Peninsula? We do want to get out and hike some, do a glacier hiking tour, possibly a viking sushi cruise and enjoy our time, not necessarily running from site to site.

Lastly, I've heard the road between Hofn and Lake Myvatn is pretty arduous. Does anyone have a suggestion of where to stay halfway between?

Thanks!
Aug 5th, 2016, 03:53 PM

I'll only answer one of your questions: I don't think you have time for W.Fjords in 10 days. Plus, the drive there is a lot longer than it seems. Make sure you visit Snaefellsnes Peninsula though, it's a magical place.

You are the only one who knows how you deal with jet lag and where you're coming from, but take it easy the 1st day. If you have to drive, keep it short. Iceland is amazing!

Search this Thread