Notices

Iceland - Northern Lights?

Mar 13th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Ellen

Iceland - Northern Lights?

After reading a wonderful post on the top 100 things to do in Iceland, we are ready to plan a trip. Questions:
1. When is the best time to go to see the Northern Lights? Can you see them in Aug/Sept?
2. Hotel Borg any good? Is there a hotel at Blue Lagoon and is it worth a few nights?
3. Rent a car or take public transportation? Are private drivers readily available?
Thanks!

Mar 13th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Martha

Ellen:
The northern lights are normally seen in the winter months. In fact in Aug. and Sept.it will still be light out until late. If you are early enough in Aug. you might see the midnight sun.
I stayed at Hotel Esja. About a mile from downtown, but a nice walk. Reykjavik is easy enough to walk around but if you want to see the outlying areas you can drive or take day trips by tour companies. The blue Lagoon is only 45 minutes out side Reykjavik. There is a hotel there but nothing else close, you might as well come back to the city.
I don't know about private drivers but the hotel lobby had a stand with many tour companies and day trips listed.
I was actually on a tour of the whole country and went to some of the other cities as well. I loved the country and hope to back some day.

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Amy

Northern lights are best seen in the winter, and even then you need just the right conditions--but Iceland is worth going to without a glimpse of them!
Hotel Borg is in a very good location and is supposed to be one of the nicest; I haven't stayed there yet but I plan to sometime. The Blue Lagoon is really easy to get to from Reykjavik, all kinds of tours and such, so no need to stay there.
I've always used the transport and the tours; often the tour groups are quite small, although there were many more people there in 2001 than in 1996! People who have driven, though, have not reported problems with doing so. Some of the areas need special vehicles, though, like Thors Woods, which (if you are planning to go in the summer) I wholeheartedly recommend.
Have a wonderful trip!

Search this Thread