Iceland Last Week in February

Old Sep 20th, 2022, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland Last Week in February

I would like to take a short trip to Iceland- 5 days or so. I am told the Northern Lights are not to be missed. Would the last week in February be too cold to really enjoy being outside? I know no one can predict the weather, but would we be better off going October/November, which I'm told is also a good time to see them, but the weather probably wouldn't be as stormy or frigid.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 11:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
https://climateknowledgeportal.world...ata-historical
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 04:16 AM

Not only can you not predict the weather you cannot predict the aurora more than a few days ahead of time, and even then they can decide not to come out an play.
Don't visit anywhere with the soul purpose of seeing aurora. You have to have things to do in the daytime and hope you can see them. That said the sun is increasingly active so you should see something, even if it is not as spectacular a display as if touted online. Also remember some of those are timelapses sped up, and the colours are always better in photographs than to the naked eye.
Climate change means it is harder to say what the weather will be in northern climes. Take warm clothing, wear layers, the outer of which is also water and windproof.
But really do think what to do in the daytime, and regard aurora as a bonus.
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 10:32 AM

Look at the post by jacketwatch about his cruise that included Iceland. The thread is in the cruise forum and is Our NCL Cruise out of Iceland. Back to COVID Testing. I believe his cruise was in June. I think his report will be very informative for you. He describes Iceland late in the report, so look at the whole thing.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Sep 21st, 2022 at 10:34 AM.