Pamplona - the Revenge of the Bulls - 1st Fatality since 1995

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first fatality during Pamplona's famed Running of the Bulls San Fermin Festival since 1995 has happened on day 4 of the 8 daily runnings thru the narrow cobbled streets of Pamplona. And some others were seriously hurt - including two Yanks - one, a 61-yr-old, was picked up by the rogue bull by the horns and flipped onto the cobbles and the bull continued to charge him - he miraculously was relatively unhurt . A 63-year old Yank did suffer an elbow injury and another 61-yr old Yank was seriously gored in the chest and is in IC bvut expected to survivie.

(the bulls start out as a pack when at the start they are whacked on their rears with rolled up newspapers - when they are in the pack they are rarely dangerous but just run thru the gauntlet to the Bull Ring where they will later be slaughtered by a matador. But when one breaks away it becomes a ragin rogue bull and can attack other runners - though a warning sound is made when a bull breaks lose in the pack and many runners seek refuge on window sills, etc. some idiots keep running - this rogue bull was called Capuchino and weighed 1,130 pounds.

To me there is nothing more disgusting in Europe than bullfighting - i find it incredible that such a bloody event can still be staged - it is animal abuse plain and simple and though i always feel sorry for anyone hurt or killed in this case i am rather rooting for the bulls - the idiots who run take part IMO in animal abuse and pay the price.

When will this animal torture end.

And for any apologists how is bull fighting any difference than cock fighting, dog fighting, etc.? Or should these be legalized as well?

GO BULLS!
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

#
Pamplona Fatality: Bull Run Claims First Victim in 14 Years ...
Jul 10, 2009 ... A man was gored to death on Friday while taking part in the famous bull run in Pamplona. The tragedy occured when one bull became separated ...
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...635426,00.html - 7 hours ago - Similar

7 crushed in Pamplona bull run - USATODAY.com
PAMPLONA, Spain (AP) — Spain's largest fighting bulls lived up to their fearsome ... The last fatality, a 22-year-old American, was gored to death in 1995. ...
http://www.usatoday.com/news/.../200...ls-spain_N.htm
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM

I agree, bullfighting is animal abuse. I love to visit Spain but hate bullfighting!
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Stupid people get what they deserve.

Thin
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Geez. Americans are to blame for Spain's bullfighting tradition? Spaniards have been killing bulls since before the United States existed.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

The multi-national invasion into Pamplona has no doubt helped the Running of the Bulls to be the huge hit it is - and thus to perpetuate this bloody tradition. And Hemingway certainly put it on the map.

But as Jean says Spaniards going to these blood baths are the reason they continue - not foreign tourists though bull fights are used to lure tourists here - the romance like Hemingway wrote about - the macho macho nature of man vs beast - dating from the Roman days and before.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Sounds like you're all cheering a man's death.

That's pretty repulsive no matter what you think of the bull-running or bull-fighting.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

i call it 'culling the herd'
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Darwin at work.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Activities that are "thrilling", "exciting", "adventurous" seem to be absolutely en vogue - people want to feel they are risking their life for entertainment and fun to get the ultimate kick - but at the same time everything has to be 1000% 'safe' and if any accident happens everyone is screaming. This cannot work. Doing something risky includes, well, a risk.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM

No Americans aren't responsible for the bullfighting, that isn't what I said. But Hemingway popularised Pamplona's own barbaric fiesta and his countrymen have been trying to emulate him ever since.
The previous fatality was an American, and two of the injured were Americans who are certainly old enough to know better than try and take on a bull.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

If someone wants to participate in animal torture then if they die doing so i do not feel much remorse - in fact if more die perhaps then the whole sorry thing will come to an end. Maybe some lawsuits against the city of Pamplona or festival organizers by survivor families.

Yup Hetismij - The Sun Also Rises did and does popularize the macho romance of this event - heck until recently women were not even allowed to run - being physically snatched off the streets when they attempted to do so.

Spain has changed so so much in the post Fascist era - this activity will sooner or later be banned.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM

I particularly like it when someone gets run over by a truck after taking in the the opera. The libretti are idiotic and no one should live after enjoying that nonsense.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Yes i agree having to sit thru an opera unwillingly is certainly torture
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM

See, Palenque agrees.

In the past there was a life lesson to learned from being gored. It wasn't the horn that killed someone, it was the fesces at the end of the horn.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 01:42 PM

It's amazing how many highly opinionated, but truly ignorant people frequent this forum, having no idea what the event is all about and of course have never been to the fiesta.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM

I agree bullfighting is brutal. This is a longtime festival and I would like to attend it one day. I will run behind the bulls!! Maybe La Tomatina would be better.
Mike
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 09:10 PM

I agree with Robert. The running of the bulls has little to do with bullfighting. There will be no lawsuits or anything of the kind, death is part of the game, and accepted by everyone taking part in this event.

My dad used to run the bulls in the 50´and 60´s, when the Sanfermines were a local fiesta. Now it has turned into a massive festival,with unexperienced runners that want to play macho, and that is the cause of many accidents and deaths.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 03:54 AM

ALL the bulls are killed at the end of the day. Robert's post is of self interest as he is one of those who earns money by organising trips to the event. This way he is one of those perpetuating this.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 04:35 AM

Yes, but then you may criticize the bullfighting, not the running of the bulls, which was just the traditional way the shepherds (or cowboys) transported the bulls from their pastures to town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -