Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Iceland in October and General Related Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/iceland-in-october-and-general-related-questions-249908/)

Greg Aug 15th, 2002 10:05 AM

Iceland in October and General Related Questions

Hello everyone. Last week it was Japan this week they tell me they are shipping me off to Iceland (I know rough job, haha). I was wondering if anybody can give me any information on Iceland. Such as voltage standards to US standards, temperature in October, or just plain old do's and don'ts with their customs?<BR><BR>I am an engineer for a radio station and we frequently do broadcasts from different parts of the globe. I will be handling a broadcast for the Airwave concert in Reykjavik on the 18'th of October.<BR><BR>Thanks for any info in advance.

tt Aug 15th, 2002 10:41 AM

tt

Amy Aug 15th, 2002 12:17 PM

Lucky you! I was in Iceland last October and the weather was 40ish, some major rain and some beautiful sunshine (on the same days!) It's chilly to me when it's damp (I'm from NE United States, and it felt more "Novemberish", if that makes sense) but it's more layering weather than thermals time.<BR><BR>There don't seem to be a lot of hang-ups as far as do's and don'ts. Sorry I can't help with the voltage--I'm semi-Luddite when I travel. <BR><BR>Have a great time--Iceland is glorious!

Greg Aug 15th, 2002 04:46 PM

Amy how neat. That is my Wife's name too. I have never even thought of Iceland until it was given to me this morning as my next "Project". With what I have found so far I can't wait.<BR><BR>Do you have any links or suggestions for info? I have found so far only 6 radio stations over there.<BR><BR>The night life I hear is wild and I was thinking about one of the 4x4 adventures into the mountains. What do you think. And yes I am going to try the Blue Lagoon and I love salmon. <BR><BR>The people look lovely and the culture absolutely intersting.<BR><BR>Sorry I get excited to explore new places. Looking forward to hearing more.<BR><BR>By the way you said NE US somewhere. So am I.<BR>

Amy Aug 16th, 2002 05:01 AM

I've been to Iceland three times so far (and plan to go back at Christmas!) I love the hiking and horseback riding, walking around Reykjavik, all the beautiful scenery, and breathing that wonderful clean air. And going into Greenland, too, if you've got time...that's incredible, too.<BR><BR>Did you do a search in that little box above? There's a fair amount of past entries about Iceland (just type Iceland in the first search box and don't worry about the other one.) I topped one of the longest (100 best in Iceland) for you, so if you go further down these posts it should be there.<BR><BR>I don't have any specific links that I've used, but Icelandair's site is always helpful and Lonely Planet has some good stuff. Feel free to email me if you prefer; I can always talk about my favorite place!

Greg Aug 16th, 2002 05:10 AM

Thanks Amy I have not done a search yet but I did see the 100 best things. Just wanted to say it is nice to see in the "Europe Section" how most people are so helpful with sharing their knowledge and experiences. <BR><BR>Once I find out what hotel they have booked us at I will probably probe your mind for more answers. Thanks :o).

colby Aug 26th, 2002 03:40 PM

hello, Im going to airwaves too and am curious about all the same things, keep me posted and ill do the same!<BR>thanks<BR>[email protected]