A friend and I are traveling to Iceland Oct 8-18th 2016.
We were thinking about spending a few nights in Reykjavik and then renting a car/camper and exploring in that.
1.) What area/s would be safest and most worthwhile for us to spend our time in? Golden Circle, southern coast, and Snæfellsnes peninsula? Really any suggestions would be appreciated.
2.) Since it's beginning to transition to winter would getting a SUV that has a bed in it and camping in that feasible? Or should instead book lodging in towns along our way? We have winter camping and high mountain camping experience so I think we are fairly tough in that regards.
3.) We were potentially planning to rent a car and just follow the best weather once we get there. Since we are traveling in non-peak season should it be fairly easy to book last minute accommodations/tours?
4.) Regarding car choices - I work as a ski instructor in the winter and regularly drive in winter conditions (ice/snow/sleet) however I'm not certain how extreme the winds will be while we are there and how much that will affect things (cars blowing off roads etc) Will we get snow tires with our rental? Is 4x4 necessary since we won't be going on unpaved roads since it's almost winter? Should we look for low profile cars instead of higher SUVs to minimize height to be less impacted by winds?
Any recommendations and advice would be very appreciated - we are at the very beginning of our planning process so we don't have our hearts set on a specific plan - we just want to stay safe, relatively comfortable and see what we can!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trenitalia - lost and found
- 2 Wierd Europe map
- 3 Where to stay for Mont Saint-Michel
- 4 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 5 Lost property at Fiumicino airport Rome
- 6 Lyceum theatre London
- 7 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 8 HOW MUCH SHOULD I TIP THE PILOT
- 9 First time in Normandy & Brittany
- 10 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 11 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 12 Transportation in Brittany
- 13 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 14 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 15 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 16 Paris Apartment
- 17 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 18 Milan airport--which one
- 19 Which Area in London?
- 20 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 21 Visit to France
- 22 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 23 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 24 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 25 family trip to Germany and more