iceland in June 2020

Search

iceland in June 2020

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2020, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iceland in June 2020

Ok 4 questions: two couples in their 70's traveling together.
We are taking a 6 day tour, but have 1 1/2 days free.

1. Have read better, less crowded, and cheaper places other than the Blue Lagoon. (too touristy?)What alternate hot springs would you recommend to the blue lagoon geothermal? Can we go by uber, as we will be staying at the Natura hotel.
2. On our last day (plane leaves at 8:30 PM---Would you recommend the Hop on Hop off trolley to taking an uber to see the old harbor area./- wondering about guided information on the Hop on? did any one take this mode?
3 any resaurants you would recommend in the Old Harbor area?.
4. Has anyone used walking sticks to walk up to the waterfallS, and geiser (uneven terrain)??
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 12:35 AM

In regard to substitutes for Blue Lagoon, I’d forget it . There are several I believe. On a private tour we visited one called Secret Lagoon or something like that. Nothing special. It was like getting into a heated pond. What makes the Blue Lagoon special is its setting surrounded by lava rocks and the color of the water which is caused by the minerals... a beautiful almost mystical shade of blue. Heavens forbid don’t worry about it being too touristy Iceland itself has become touristy. The Blue Lagoon will give you a unique experience.

Sorry can’t really help you with your other questions. I don’t do Uber and not fond of Hop On/ Hop Off. Yes, I would recommend walking sticks. I’d just ask for Hotel ( Natura ) to call a taxi.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 02:30 AM

If you want to experience thermal baths the way the locals do, there are loads of them all over, but it's true that it's not the "experience" that the incredibly pricey hyper-touristy Blue Lagoon offers. It depends on what you're looking for. We have thoroughly enjoyed our time at local spas/thermal baths in Reykyavik. We never needed a taxi to get to one, or to get anywhere in Reykyavik - we walked all over both times we were there, including from the center of Reykyavik to the harbor. The only restaurant there we enjoyed was a friendly Haitian rasta coffee shop; the others were, for us, shockingly expensive for what was served, and the food was meh. Our favorite find in Reykyavik was a Turkish restaurant (the only one in Iceland) on the main shopping street called Mezze. Good food, good prices.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 02:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
We went to this pool in 2013. If you have google maps put:
Vesturbæjarlaug
in the search bar and you can get a look at what is there. It was nice but certainly not fancy.

Last edited by xcountry; Feb 14th, 2020 at 02:48 AM.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 03:34 AM

Hi,
The Blue Lagoon and [Not so] Secret Lagoon are the biggies and are popular- they are both great and if you avoid peak times they can be quiet [ish] too.
Every town inc Reykjavik has their own pools / hotpots which are less touristy and maybe that is what you are looking for..
xc