Hi all -
We are taking two of my nephews (cousins, aged 13 and 14) to Iceland in July. We have 10-12 days. They're a bit tough to keep entertained; anywhere with "ruins" and "museums" would just not work. We thought Iceland - with its horseback riding, whale watching, geysirs, thermal springs - might be a better option.
At first we thought about doing the Ring Road. However, I’m a bit worried that a true trip around the ring road should be at least 10 days plus a few in Reykjavik. We'd be tight for time. I’m also concerned that there isn’t much to see/do in the eastern half of the country and our fussy 13 and 14 year old boys may be bored with long days in the car. (Note, the adults might love some of the sites on the eastern coast, but long days in the car followed by a puffin colony might not cut it for these kids.)
As such, I’m wondering if we can try to do three stops - (1) a stay in/near Vik (maybe see the Westman Islands, hike on a glacier, black sand beaches, and a few of the waterfalls), (2) a stay up north in Akureyi (horseback riding, river rafting, whale watching out of Husavik), and (3) a stay in Reykjavik (some of the day trips - the Golden Circle, Snaefellsnes Peninsula, etc). I’m not sure how easy this is; how best to coordinate it; or if it’s even a good idea. Would we drive straight to the south shore/Vik upon arrival, then back to Reykjavik for a few days, and then drive up to Akureyi before circling back to Reykjavik to fly out? Or would we drive down to Vik, then drive right up to Akureyi before ending with a few days in Reykjavik? Would it be crazy to do Vik, then Reykjavik and then fly to Akureyi before taking a return flight from Akureyi to Reykjavik to catch a connecting flight home? Or fly directly to Akureyi, spend a few days, drive to Vik, then Reykjavik? Any idea how the fees are for picking up a car in Reykjavik and dropping in Akureyi or vice versa?
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 TOSHIBA PRINTER 1800:681 :7208 installations CONTACTTOSHIBA Techh care
- 2 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 3 Copenhagen, Stockholm & Bergen April 2018
- 4 Amsterdam at End of Year - Tickets for Museums
- 5 Advise Needed
- 6 10 days in europe
- 7 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 8 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 9 Black Friday in Britain? Why?
- 10 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 11 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)
- 12 6 days in Slovenia and Croatia in January
- 13 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 14 land vs river cruise
- 15 Hiking - Suggest a location
- 16 Festival du Citron (Lemon Festival), Menton
- 17 Help with suggestions for Portugal 2 week trip
- 18 19 days Ireland by car - please advise
- 19 Scotland ideas
- 20 Tips for first trip to UK
- 21 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 22 Iceland tours from Keflavik
- 23 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 24 The World's Greatest Churches
- 25 Malaga Christmas lights
Hi all -