Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ICED TEA?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/iced-tea-46181/)

julie Jun 11th, 1999 10:11 AM

ICED TEA??

Do the french drink iced tea?

elvira Jun 11th, 1999 10:15 AM

found an $8 glass of it at a cafe in Place de Tertre, Paris.

Brian in Atlanta Jun 11th, 1999 10:49 AM

That must be some damn good tea!

elvira Jun 11th, 1999 10:56 AM

It was worth every penny because my mother wanted it...

Dawn Jun 11th, 1999 11:38 AM

That's sweet Elvira!!!!

elvira Jun 11th, 1999 11:58 AM

She was a little trooper. I made her walk UP the back of the Montmartre butte and DOWN the front; from the Bateaux Mouches to the Eiffel Tower. Up and down the metro steps...and through the Chatelet stop! She never said "hey you knucklehead I'm OLD!" so I figured if a glass of iced tea was what she wanted, any amount of money was worth it (she saw the receipt on the table and said "I must have this french franc thing all wrong because it looks like you paid $8 and that can't be right").

dan Jun 11th, 1999 01:20 PM

I don't know if it was intended for locals or tourists, but I remember buying a flavored ice tea out of a vending machine in Paris.

Monica Jun 11th, 1999 02:16 PM

Hi Elvira, I'm like you when I travel with my Mother (she's 68). We walk EVERYWHERE and she has never complained or asked me to slow down, although she'll skip a climb up some church tower if she starts to get tired. So in the evenings we always treat ourselves to a good meal and a bottle of wine to end a great day.

mary Jun 11th, 1999 03:25 PM

I, too, can remember a $7 iced tea in Cannes. It was so hot when we were there (August) and after I drank it I ordered another. I can still taste it. <BR> <BR>I have never ordered iced tea again anywhere in Europe. I now just stick to water or wine.

Karen Jun 11th, 1999 04:52 PM

Now and then we take a small bottle of powdered tea and then just ask for water and mix it right at the table. If we are VERY lucky, we get ice too!

Martha B Jun 11th, 1999 10:09 PM

There were cans of flavored ice tea on the drinks trolley the last time we took the train in France. I never drink it here. I wait until I visit my parents in North Carolina and get the real stuff. It tastes soooo gooood back in the States.

julie Jun 13th, 1999 03:55 PM

Guess I'll pass on the iced tea! $8!

Myriam Jun 13th, 1999 10:43 PM

Not only the ice tea is expensive in Paris. So are the other (soft) drinks. Did you know that, when you drink it at the counter your drink will be the cheapest ; in the cafe a little more expensive and on the outside terrace they ask the highest price. <BR>Come to Belgium, ice tea and other soft drinks are reasonably priced and even if you sit at the nicest terrace in town, this won't cost you any more than drinking it standing up at the counter!

judy Jun 14th, 1999 11:41 AM

A few years ago on our first day in Paris, my friend and I stopped for lunch at a small cafe across from our hotel to have lunch. The iced tea was delicious in a icy glass rimmed with sugar; it was so good that when the waiter asked "Encore?", we said, "Oui" ( that's about the extent of my French). To our dismay and education, each glass costs $5! It added $20 to our small bill...As the others have responded, we never ordered tea again in Paris, and we learned to examine the menu before ordering anything... <BR>