Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ICE Sprinter question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ice-sprinter-question-714976/)

smarty Jun 21st, 2007 09:18 AM

ICE Sprinter question

Can anyone tell me if the rolling stock for the Sprinters is the same type of carriages as the ICE3 trains (which may or may not be what the newer models are called)? Also, if the Sprinters have the conference room set-up available?

Thanks for any info!

rkkwan Jun 21st, 2007 09:28 AM

From what I understand "Sprinters" is a service of the fastest itinerary with fewest stops. It doesn't refer to the equipment used. So, it probably will depend on the line which ICE generation you'll get.

PalenQ Jun 21st, 2007 09:30 AM

Sprinters are seemingly totally oriented to business types so if any train has the conference rooms these would have. The only trains in Germany that require reservations and charge supplements to passholders - apart from overnight trains. There are about six train sets only i believe running just a few select routes at odd times business types would be traveling - early and returning late.

hsv Jun 21st, 2007 09:49 AM

No reservations necessary according to my experience.

Other than that views expressed here correct.

PalenQ Jun 21st, 2007 09:58 AM

About reservations - may only apply to railpass holders but Eurailpass info says passholders must pay a supplement and reservation fee to use.

That said the Eurailpass Travelers Guide is not always accurate but i do believe at least a supplement is charged to railpass holders - i guess these trains must cost more than regular ICE trains?

altamiro Jun 21st, 2007 10:09 AM

Actually there is reservation requirement on the Sprinters. But ICE Sprinters are 5 or 6 of about 30000 trains that go through Germany daily, so easy to avoid. They are just running in early morning and afternoon additionally to normal ICE trains, and avoid dead-end stations such as Stuttgart.
rkkwan is right - it's the same equipment as used on the respective line otherwise.

>Also, if the Sprinters have the conference room set-up available?

AFAIK all ICE's have a conference room but you have to reserve it additionally (and I assume for an additional fee)

smarty Jun 21st, 2007 10:22 AM

Wow...that was fast (fast as a speeding train!). This is in regards a business meeting not recreational travel; certainly not my idea of leisure travel that early in the morning.

I am fairly sure there is a supplement/reservation charge for basic passage and then moreso for the conference rooms. You have been very helpful since for all I know they could look like spaceships inside! Thanks very much.

hsv Jun 23rd, 2007 11:10 PM

Si tacuissem...

Have to correct myself. According to the Bahn website reservations are indeed necessary for the sprinter - even though I do know that I was on two where I was allowed on without having one (as I never make reservations on train travel, but that's another story).

I apologise for the incorrectness of my answer.

BTilke Jun 24th, 2007 02:02 AM

I've been on a few ICE springers. They're slightly more spruced up than the regular ICE trains and do, as noted above, cater to business travelers. The conference rooms (with power outlets and tables) are a nice feature (I think they're only in first class, but not sure), although I have seen them taken up by families--not a bad idea actually, for a family with small kids to have their own compartment. I like the digital displays in the cars that show you the train's speed. The seats (at least in first class) are leather, or perhaps as Albert Brooks described, Mercedes leather (thick vinyl).
Although they cost more and require reservations, the Sprinters can be surprisingly packed. I rode one last year that was completely jammed (in first class) with a group of very badly behaved IT guys (not German) who were loudly and obnoxiously drunk.

I have had a few experiences where the ICE trains were completely full, so for the past few years, I have never traveled on one without a reservation. They don't cost much and can come in handy if you're traveling on a popular route the same time as a German bank holiday.

BTilke Jun 24th, 2007 02:02 AM

Sprinters, not springers of course.