Notices

Ibis Hotels in Paris

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 02:12 AM
Patti

Ibis Hotels in Paris

Hi! My husband and I are going with 8 or 9 friends to Ireland, England and France next summer. I will probably be posting questions for awhile as we plan this trip. We are on a limitted budget and I was wondering if anyone had stayed at one of the IBIS hotels in Paris? And, if so which one, and what did you think of it? Or do you have a better suggestion? We just want clean and close to transportation mainly. But, we are open to any information you can give us.
Thank you so much!
Patti

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 05:57 AM
Ellen

I stayed at the IBIS Tour Cambronne location which is just adjacent to the Cambronne metro. At the time, I was not linked to the internet and had no opinions from others. On the positive side, this location offerred chain-type rooms at a far more economical cost than Best Western, Marriott etc.
Many years ago, I paid about $80 a night for a doulbe room there. The rooms are perfectly sufficient (albeit small and a little sterile), clean and the staff accomodating. Breakfast and taxes were included. I checked a few years ago about this location again and it was now much more expensive.
There is definitely no problem in staying at this location but after other experiences, don't find this place quaint. It is more "reliable".

Perhaps check out www.paris.org or www.hotelboulevard.com for other suggestions.
Ellen

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 12:56 PM
Rex

I don't believe you would come up with this one on your own: Ibis La Villette - - used by Air France for bumped or misconnected passengers when hotels at the airport are full.

Not receommended. Nothing specifically wrong with it, just not close to anything, and no particular atmosphere. I hadn't stayed at an Ibis in many years, and it at least seemed clean and modern enough. and had internet in the lobby that you can use with a telecarte. A good (and new?) idea, thanks to France Telecom.

American hotels - - take note?

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 03:54 PM
Kathy

Although I've never stayed in one, (if you haven't already) check out Frommer's Budget Travel magazine (October issue). It gives a run down of 20 different Ibis hotels in Paris. E-mail me personally if you'd like me to fax a copy of the article.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 06:38 PM
Diane

I stayed at an Ibis at CDG Airport. Clean, adequate, inexpensive. Nothing special. I also recommend www.hotelboulevard.com
I booked a hotel thru them a couple of years ago and was quite pleased with the results.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:23 AM
Kristi

We've stayed in a lot of Ibis hotels in Europe, generally they are easy to locate, clean and comfortable, breakfast is generally an additional charge.

In Paris, however, we've opted to stay at the Hotel Muguet the last two visits. The difference in price from the Ibis location that Ellen mentioned is 40FF per night (520 for Ibis, 560 for the Hotel Muguet at current rates), at the current exchange rate that is about $5-6 US. Hotel Muguet is close to the metro and within walking distance of a lot of the places you'll probably visit. For the small difference in price, it's a much nicer hotel (a/c, hair dryer, better towels, better bed) even though both are 2 star hotels. I'm sure there are dozens of similar hotels that people have mentioned on this forum.

We stayed at a Ibis or Novotel out by Pere LaChaise many years ago. The problem with that location was that even though it's close to the metro, it was pretty far out and it took 1/2 hour every day to get in and out of central Paris. So try to stick to the more central locations if you choose an Ibis.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 08:24 AM
Marsha

Dear Patti: I recently stayed at the Ibis in Versailles. It was a business persons hotel. The room was very small, but adequate and clean. The breakfast buffet was an extra cost, but was excellent. The best feature was the underground parking. Although I also paid for the parking, it was well worth it. Always check on parking (and whether it is an added cost) at European hotels - we Americans, especially those of us from the MidWest or the West, take free hotel and motel parking for granted! I would recommend the Ibis chain for times when you need convenience and want to be sure of what you are getting (like a Super 8 or Holiday Inn in the U.S.)

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:45 PM
Alice

Also try the Choice Hotels group (Comfort, Quality, Clarion) at www.hotelchoice.com We stayed a couple of times at Hotel Villiers, but now that particular hotel is no longer listed with them (I suspect they get plenty of business, and don't need the connection any more). But if it represents the others, they will be fine. We had twin room, full bath/shower, and buffet breakfast for about $110 (nothing fancy but clean).

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:57 PM
Maureen

For Ibis prices, you can find far more charming and better located accommodations if you look around. For what you have in mind, and if you don't care to shop around, Ibis will suit your needs.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 04:51 AM
Travelin Man

See the recent of Frommer's Budget Travel magazine (I think month before last) for a detailed review of all the Ibis hotels in Paris, including prices, room descriptions, locations, etc. Very good piece. I have never used Ibis, but they are owned by Accor, which also owns Novotel, Sofitel, and many other brands. I have used Novotel many times in Europe, US, and Canada and have always been pleased with their rooms, prices, and service. Ibis are not same "class" level as Novotel, but I think that they would be OK for what they cost and offer. Let us know what you think.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 06:43 PM
hmh

Re:Ibis. In October 1998, we stayed at the Ibis Cambronne through a Trafalgar Paris package, which included R/T airport transfers, 7 nights hotel, breakfast, city and Versailles 1/2 day tours, Seine cruise. The hotel was the least expensive of three on the package and we were quite satisfied with it. True, the rooms were small but clean. Breakfast was quite good--not just coffee and hard rolls. The hotel is about a block from the Metro station and within walking distance of the Eiffel Tour, as well as other notable sites. There were quite a few "bistro-type" places in which to eat and a little scouting around the neighborhood found a good Italian restaurant, not to mention some wonderful boulangeries and a supermarket for in-room munchies. I don't know what the non-package price would be but you might want to check out the Trafalgar prices. Not too long after we had stayed there, Frommer's Newsletter did a review of the Ibis. I sent in my comments and it was published as a "Letter to the Editor". We are "senior citizens" and have traveled in Europe and in the British Isles--but never on a deluxe budget. I felt that the Ibis Camb. and probably other Ibis give you value for your $$.You are in your room such a short time usually, that it is not worth spending a lot on them--but that is only our opinion.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 04:33 AM
patti

Thank you all so much for your replies!
I still have so much research to do but you have all helped me with great ideas!
I will let you know what I decide!
Patti