Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Iberia cancelled my flights!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/iberia-cancelled-my-flights-308704/)

Henda Feb 21st, 2008 01:02 AM

Iberia cancelled my flights!!!

Wew were booked to fly on the 11th May to Barcelona. Iberia cancelled the flight due to "maintenance". They are offering either the 9th or the 12th as alternatives - both dates does not suite us as we still have my mothers 80th birthday on ther 10th and if we fly on the 12th, reacing Barcelona on the 13th, we only have 3 days of our exchanged timeshare left.What are my righrs? Can I insist they book me on another carrier? Your input would be appreciated.

Heimdall Feb 21st, 2008 03:10 AM

Can't you ask for a refund and book your own flight?

crazyfortravel Feb 21st, 2008 03:32 AM

I believe the only other recourse would be to get a refund and book another flight. I've worked in the travel industry for more than 20 years and the only time I see an alternate airline offered is in the event of interruption during a trip if your ticketed carrier can't get you home...occasionally they will protect on another airline.

I would speak to a supervisor in their customer service and in the meantime I would see what else you can book for flights.

Good luck..I hope it work out for you.

Henda Feb 21st, 2008 05:25 AM

Being from the Southern Hemisphere, our currency took a dip for the worst and flights are now much more expensive that when I bought those on Iberia. Can I ask that Iberia pay the difference in price if I book on another airline?

Christina Feb 21st, 2008 05:34 AM

You can ask anything, but I would venture a 99.99 pct guess that they will refuse. This is months away, some airlines change their schedules just for scheduling reasons that far ahead, after all, and even the recent new laws regarding compensation for European flight cancellations only pertains to cancellations within a couple weeks of travel.

I really don't think you have any rights at all except to get a refund, given this is months away.

crazyfortravel Feb 21st, 2008 07:11 AM

I'd be very surprised if Iberia picked up the tab for the price difference given the flight is several months out. Only the customer service department for Iberia can answer that question and it never hurts to ask.

I would call and speak to a supervisor to see what they may be willing to do for you. I wouldn't expect much more than a refund in my experience.

Good luck.

nytraveler Feb 21st, 2008 09:46 AM

Iberia gave you your choices. If you don;t like either you need to cancel, get your money back and book another ticket.

You can;t force them to fly a plane on that day (I'm sure they would if they could). And they're not responsible for currency changes - that's just part of life.

WillTravel Feb 21st, 2008 09:55 AM

Are there any Iberia codeshare possibilities? Does Iberia fly to Madrid or somewhere on that day, and then you could use some other means to get to Barcelona?

danon Feb 21st, 2008 11:02 AM

good idea by PP
Iberia may agree to fly you to another city in Spain and put you on the flight to Barcelona from there.

Henda Feb 21st, 2008 10:45 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Iberia will not budge but I have managed to get tickets for more or less the same price with TAP - but will have to spend one night in Lisbon (on my cost).

Binkieloo Feb 23rd, 2008 06:51 AM

Hi Henda

Have you tried asking Iberia about the flight to Madrid?

I work as a travel agent in South Africa. I just checked their website and there is a flight, with seats available for the 11th to Madrid. I know that Iberia has just done some major schedule changes for the Summer months, so I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm not sure if you're South African, but if you are, are you aware that the TAP flight goes via Maputo to Lisbon?

I would contact Iberia about the flight to Madrid - you can probably get a low cost flight or train from Madrid to Barcelona for cheaper than the night in Lisbon. Just another suggestion!

And I hear you on the dipping foreign exchange LOL It's like the world economy knows when I'm traveling and crashes!