Iberia Airlines Ruin Start of Honeymoon

Sep 24th, 1999, 07:54 PM
Carin Verdugo

Iberia Airlines Ruin Start of Honeymoon

Iberia's web page statement that they have "over 24,000 employees dedicated to excellence in customer service” is untrue.

On a recent trip to Malaga Iberia's employees treated my husband and me rudely and with disdain!

On June 30, 1999 my husband and I embarked on our honeymoon in Malaga. After flying from Los Angeles to Paris we were scheduled to connect on July 1 to Iberia Flight 3405 from Orly to Madrid, Spain and then to Iberia Flight 212 from Madrid to Malaga, Spain.

Our problems began when Iberia Flight 3405 from Orley to Madrid was delayed. Upon arrival in Madrid we had to run to catch our connection to Malaga. When we arrived in Malaga, my husband’s luggage did not arrive while mine did, even though we had checked in at the same time.

At the Malaga airport, we were casually informed that my husband’s bag would probably be on the next flight. As we were unfamiliar with Malaga, we decided to wait at the airport hoping to retrieve my husband’s luggage before checking into the pensión at which we had reservations. However, the bag was not on the next flight and in fact did not arrive until 7:30pm the next day.

Since we were traveling on a budget, we had previously made reservations at an inexpensive pensión in Malaga. By 2:00am the next morning we were completely exhausted (at this point we had been traveling for over 36 hours) and it was to late to check into the pensión as they did not admit travelers after 10:00pm. We then decided to try to find some other place to stay.

Iberia's staff actively declined to offer us any assistance in suggesting a place to stay or to help by at least providing us with a toothbrush (all our toiletries were in my husband’s bag). When we specifically asked a member of their staff for help we were told “that it was not his problem and to leave him alone”.

The only accommodation we could find at 2:00am was a very expensive hotel. We actually only used the room for a few hours as we returned to the airport at 7:00am because we had been told by another member of Iberia's staff that my husband’s bag would arrive on the morning flight..

Of course the bag was not on that flight or on several others that arrived during the day. The bag finally arrived at 7:30pm. However, because of the uncertainty of when the bag would arrive we could not check out of the hotel we were forced to use the night before. As a result we incurred another very costly night in this hotel. When we finally retrieved my husband’s bag, no one apologized or offered any compensation for what we had been through.

Thankfully, we did not have to fly on Iberia again during our honeymoon. Upon returning to the United States at the end of July, the memory of how we were treated by Iberia's staff in Malaga prompted me to write a letter of complaint to Iberia's US Customer Relations Department in Miami, specifically addressed to Mr. Fernando Pollan, Manager.

It has been six weeks since I wrote to Mr. Pollan. To date, I have received no reply. All I was after was an apology. Evidently, Iberia’s management shares in the utter lack of concern shown by its employees toward their passengers.

Sep 25th, 1999, 06:49 AM
Myer

I have not as yet been to Spain and have never travelled Iberia.
I am planning a trip to Spain possibly for next sprint.
The troubles with Iberia have been well documented in these pages.
I will make every effort to avoid them if at all possible.

Sep 25th, 1999, 08:47 PM
Tricia

If you would have checked with the travelers over in Cheap Flight Forum we would have told you to stay away from Iberia. There is another story of one of the doors being taped with duct tape because the seal was broken.
www.eurotrip.com

Sep 25th, 1999, 09:42 PM
Peter

Carin: check this site:
http://www.air-itout.com/
Iberia seems to be known for bed service any way this site tells you laws and how to fight back.

Sep 26th, 1999, 11:14 AM
Rosie

I am very disturbed by all this, and I hate to say that I will be flying Iberia in a few weeks. I had not found this website until after I had purchased the ticket. AT least I understand they no longer allow smoking on their International flights. I will update with any news when I am back the first of November.

Sep 27th, 1999, 07:43 AM
Bob K.

Message to Rosie:
We've flown Iberia in past years, had beautiful flights with good friendly service. This year coming from Malaga-Madrid-New York was a disaster. A code-share with AMR, we left MAD 4 hours late. They fed us after 2 hours in the terminal, steak or fish, with wine. No movies on the plane, as there were problems with the unit. A boring 7 hours. We live in N Y so only had to contend with our car-service finding us at AMR Terminal instead of Iberia. But, for those going further, it was now 7:00pm not 3:00pm and the last flights for their destinations departed, etc. Also, because we were behind, on time flights were given preference on approach and over Boston, we were still at 39000 feet. So you can imagine the descent we had, like a free fall at times, turning, dropping, everyone holding onto the seat in front. What a mess! But, as I said, this year was a first time bad experience on Iberia.
Bob K.

Sep 27th, 1999, 07:25 PM
Tom

We too were disappointed with Iberia. We flew 1st class from JFK to Madrid. They messed up our pre-booked seats and didn't seat us together (we swapped with someone once we were on the plane so it worked out OK) The flight was delayed out of JFK which does happen BUT the pilot never came on the speaker to inform the passengers so we just sat there for an hour not having any idea what was going on. The food and service were OK but nothing compared to our last 1st class transatlantic flight on American (it was GREAT) Our return flight was from Milan to Madrid to JFK (all on Iberia) and AGAIN they messed up our seats. If two people are traveling together watch out for your pre-booked seats...it doesn't mean a thing with Iberia! My other complaint compared to traveling 1st class on other foreign airlines is that this was the first time I've ever flown where they didn't have a USA Today to offer to 1st class passengers.

Mar 1st, 2000, 02:16 PM
becks

We will be on Iberia in March, and now I am nervous about the flight. thankfully, we are flying back on AA in business class to make up for what seems toi be a predetermined bad flight.I was worried about getting a seat with leg room, being that we are both over 6 ft. tall. I guess we will be lucky if the food isn't tossed to us, and the retroom works. Its too late to chage it now.

Mar 1st, 2000, 05:56 PM
BB

Carin:
Very sorry to hear of your horrible experience on Iberia...unfortunately this is not one of the world's better airlines and you can search this site for plenty of similar disaster stories.

As for the problem your husband's missing bags caused, one piece of advice: whenever checking bags on any flight, always have a carry-on bag packed with basic toiletries and a day's worth of clothes. If you travel a lot, you WILL have baggage delays at times, no matter what carriers you choose.
Hope the rest of the trip was enjoyable.