Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Iberia airlines Do not fly their business class to or from Spain!

Old Sep 26th, 2020, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please do not fly Iberia airlines business class to or from Spain . it is a disaster and a rip-off. We flew madrid to chicago : horrible experience, terrible attitude! all the lavatories were closed out of order except one in the end of the aircraft in economy class. the airline should have brought out another aircraft. and the business class lounge in madrid is closed. there was no compensation at all, even after complaining in writing to Iberia and British Airways. Dont fly either of those airlines!
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have the best almonds with a candy-coated outer shell.
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 02:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Except for the out of order lavs, I don't think you should have been surprised. The airlines have closed or only partially opened lounges at most airports and service even in premium cabins has been reduced. BA doesn't offer full service in premium cabins either. What sort of compensation were you expecting of broken loos?

(you must be extremely unlucky having had such bad experiences for years on end )
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 01:51 AM

What does British Airways have to do with this? Don’t fly them because Iberia was a bad experience? I usually have good experiences on BA but yes it’s a bummer the lounges are closed, though it’s not really their fault.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 04:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought all airline clubs were closed due to COVID . We flew First Class across the US. No food and the same small bottle of water and a granola bar , a few pretzels given out when boarding in a bag, same for the whole plane. Times are different now. Lower your expectations. A broken lavatory should have been repaired before take off though.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lav was probably not broke but reserved for pilots and crew so they are not in the germ infested ones. If the plane wasn't full it is easier to just maintain one loo. Covid times are full of sacrifice.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Macross View Post
They have the best almonds with a candy-coated outer shell.
They are popular all over Spain and are called "almendras garrapiņadas".
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 09:10 AM

"I thought all airline clubs were closed due to COVID ."

Many are open but not all for sure. Almost all closed back at the first of the covid lockdowns but depending on local rules and the financial footing of the airlines and independent premium lounge operators they are opening up a bit.

Not sure what the situation is in Spain (would be easy enough to find out. A quick peek at FlyerTalk or the Madrid airport website would answer that). But just in the States . . . Some are closed completely, some are only open to offer agent assistance to elite flyers (no sitting down/food/etc but just agents with computers), some are open limited hours with packaged snacks, and some - mostly in major hubs - are pretty much fully open with limited hot food and waiter delivered drinks. Should be no surprise to any traveler that the Lounge experience is not what it was 8 months ago.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 11:40 AM

I choose business class for the better seats and ability to possibly get a bit of sleep on overnight flights. The lounge access and restrooms aren't very important to me so it surprises me that these issues are why you would post such a message. I am unclear what British Airways had to do with your experience.
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 03:09 PM

"I am unclear what British Airways had to do with your experience."

The two airlines are the same company - IAB. So my guess is the OP either bought the Iberia flight via the BA website, or used Avios, or it was a codeshare . . . who knows??
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 04:10 AM

Obviously what is "important" to one traveler is not necessarily as important to others. And being "surprised" that this is the case speaks volumes.