Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I wouldn't dream to leave home without... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-wouldnt-dream-to-leave-home-without-175489/)

Miky Aug 14th, 2001 11:10 AM

I wouldn't dream to leave home without...

Hi people, <BR>let's try another game along the lines of "best travel advice". What would be the ONE item you absolutely cannot travel without. Of course not the obvious: passport, money, car, airplane... and such. <BR>I'll start. I always take my "good luck doll" with me. It's a 3" tall figurine that bought me luck since 5-th grade. It was in my bag or pocket during all the school exams and since.

Mel Aug 14th, 2001 11:18 AM

- My husband <BR>- Pictures of my kids and grandchildren <BR>- My Miraculous Medal <BR>- Clean underwear!

janice Aug 14th, 2001 11:21 AM

Enough to read! I can stand any kind of delay as long as I have a book.

ALW Aug 14th, 2001 11:23 AM

Hmmm...when I was a backpacker, that would have been a roll of duct tape. Now, well, I seem to always have my camera with me, but I'm sure I'd live without it. I guess I would never travel without a guide book and a map.

Laura Aug 14th, 2001 11:27 AM

I'm with Janice on this one....have to have lots to read, especially on the plane. But most of all...my guidebooks!

aja Aug 14th, 2001 11:36 AM

My tape recorder. (and tapes of course) I audio tape my diary.

elvira Aug 14th, 2001 11:46 AM

*corkscrew and bottle opener <BR>*legal phrasebook that includes such phrases as "I didn't mean to spit up on the officer, how much is the fine?" <BR>*passport and credit cards in the name of Latetia Rosencranz of Okhaldhunga, Nepal <BR>*a MedicAlert bracelet in several languages that reads "deathly allergic to anything with the word 'organic' in it" <BR>*traveler's phrasebook with translations into several languages of "Twinkie" "salt, no ice" "pork rinds" <BR>*peenball hammer so I can break into my suitcase when I lose the key (the hammer is now kept in my totebag, after the incident in Switzerland when it was packed inside the bag and I had to take drastic measures. It was the first time in 700 years that Switzerland threatened military action) <BR>

Miky Aug 14th, 2001 11:59 AM

Thank you Elvira. Fun, smart and sharp as usual. Do not dare to ever leave this board or I predict a riot.

rand Aug 14th, 2001 12:16 PM

Elvira. <BR>If you ever have a bag you cannot break into again, rather than risk an International incident, simply go to the nearest airport or train station and ask to speak to a baggage handler.

Joan Aug 14th, 2001 12:46 PM

Swiss Army knife (with scissors, screwdriver, file, tweezers, magnifying glass, toothpick etcetera). When my husband and I were married we gave these to eachother as wedding presents...we were then, and are now,22 years later, great hikers.One of the blades of each was engraved with the wedding date and a little message. Over the years those knives have opened champagne, removed splinters from my daughter's little foot,started fires, removed stones from horses' hooves, ticks from dogs and cut innumerable materials including the casement on a suitcase we couldn't find the key for (thanks, Elvira,for your wit!). Its been lost twice, in a fire once run over by a car once and pinned under a motorcycle with me (but thats another story.) That precious knife is the first thing I would grab in a fire and the first thing I pack on any trip.

Roger Aug 14th, 2001 01:03 PM

My secret decoder ring! Actually, next trip I will remember to take my wife.

Ess Aug 14th, 2001 01:03 PM

*Comfy shoes <BR> <BR>*Foot lotion to massage tired feet at the end of the day <BR> <BR>*Raincoat <BR> <BR>*cotton kaftan for lounging around room while massaging tired feet <BR>

Latetia Rosencranz Aug 14th, 2001 01:04 PM

Well, Elvira, now I know who stole my passport and credit cards! <BR> <BR>As for me, I don't think I could limit it to one item, but Xanax for the plane, earplugs, and a photo of the dogs are right up there.

Terri Aug 14th, 2001 01:28 PM

My husband. <BR>

Diane Aug 14th, 2001 01:42 PM

My camera

RC Aug 14th, 2001 01:56 PM

I wouldn't travel without ... <BR> <BR>checking if all combustible appliances at home are safely turned off.

x Aug 15th, 2001 04:48 AM

ttt.

Margarita Aug 15th, 2001 05:26 AM

In all seriousness: <BR> <BR>1. bandaids <BR>2. mojo bag