Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I will bein Rome for 6 days, I would like to see Venice, will this be a good idea?

I will bein Rome for 6 days, I would like to see Venice, will this be a good idea?

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 01:02 PM
judy

I will in Rome for 6 days, planning to take a 1 day train ride in Florence. I would like to see Venice but not sure whether it makes sense. Any advice?

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 01:45 PM
zz-top

Rome to Florence is a do-able day trip. Take the EuroStar, it'll get you there in 1 1/2 hrs. <BR> <BR> IF you do a day in Florence (leave Rome early to get in a full day's visit) and then stay overnight in Florence ---city center is compact and you can get a decent hotel not too far from train station; then you could continue on to Venice (again, the EuroStar which takes 2 1/2 hrs from Florence) --- spend a day in Venice and then come all the way back to Rome. Doing Venice as strictly a daytrip from Rome would be exhausting. <BR> <BR> It'll be a tight & busy schedule, but it can be done.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 01:45 PM
Bob

It's unclear whether you are taking a day trip to Florence from Rome and, if so, how Venice fits in with that. You certainly could fit short trips to Venice and Florence into an itinerary if you plan carefully. For example, you should consider flying into Rome and out of Venice which would make it much more doable because backtracking to Rome all the way from Venice would take up too much time. If you leave Rome in the morning and spend one night each in Florence and Venice, that would at least give you a taste of both cities.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:05 AM
Steve James

Hello Judy, <BR> <BR>An alternative would be to take an overnight train to Venice. That would give you a full day sightseeing there. <BR> <BR>You could then stay overnight either in Venice, Florence, or somewhere in between (e.g. Padova, Bologna), - and have a full day sightseeing in Florence before catching an evening train back to Rome... <BR> <BR>Steve <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 25th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Melinda

I tried to book a first class overnight sleeper from Rome to Venice, but the schedule is due to change June 9, when I will already be in Italy. Is it hard to get an overnight sleeper in first class by buying it at the station when we are ready to go?

Old May 25th, 2001, 09:28 AM
SteveJames

Hello Melinda, <BR> <BR>When did you try booking? The FS (Italian Railways) summer timetable has just gone online today (or yesterday), - so you should be able to book it now. Try again on:- <BR>www.fs-on-line.com <BR> <BR>Hope this helps... <BR> <BR>Steve

Old May 25th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Rex

The Eurostar from Venice to Rome is such a pleasant (and reasonable length) trip, with its nice meal in the dining car (if you're in first class), that it hardly eats any more time out of your day than just going out to a nice restaurant. <BR> <BR>Board at 4:28 (pm) in Venice, eat a nice (nearly) two hour meal on board, take a cat nap and arrive in Rome at 9 pm - - the perfect time to get to your hotel, fddrop off the bags and enjoy an hour of strolling and ice cream in Piazza Navona - - darn close to effortless relocation. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 25th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Melinda

I found fs-on-line and a direct train to Venice from Naples. There was a box to reserve seats but nothing about sleeper cars. Rex gives me another idea, traveling by day. We have a room in Sorrento for June 22 and one in Venice starting June 24. I was going to sleep on the train June 23. Seems like that would be cheaper than a hotel room at the last minute in Rome. What do you think? Do I have to go to a travel agent to find the first class sleeper cars? Anyone know what they cost?