Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I will be in Paris in November for the 3rd time and am looking to take a day trip.

I will be in Paris in November for the 3rd time and am looking to take a day trip.

Sep 21st, 2000, 11:30 AM
MED

I have been to Bayeaux, the Normandy beaches and Chartres. I was thinking of taking the TGV to Dijon for the international food fair or maybe going to Reims or Rouen, but then I thought Brittany or Mont St. Michel might be nice to. Where should I go? Is Mont St. Michel worth a day or is it a tourist trap? Any suggestions, tips or comments would be much appreciated.

Sep 21st, 2000, 12:03 PM
Bob Brown

I have one ringing endorsement: Visit
Vaux le Vicomte.
Do it on your on so you can linger over the beauty.

Sep 21st, 2000, 12:14 PM
Christina

I think Dijon or Reims or Rouen would all be fine, depending on your interests. Lyon is very do-able in a day trip also with the TGV, it's two hours by train, which is my limit for a day trip. How did you intend to get to Mont St-Michel, let alone Brittany for a day trip? The Mont is possible in a day trip with an organized tour group, otherwise, I think it takes up too much time with bus/rail connections on your own. I don't think Brittany is possible at all, except of course that the Mont is right on its border, if that's what you meant.

Sep 21st, 2000, 12:48 PM
Kathryn

We also will be in Paris in November and are considering taking the Parisvision day trip to Bruges, Belgium. It takes 3 hours by bus--there is a thread on this trip. Search on "Brugge."

Kathryn

Sep 21st, 2000, 01:05 PM
lisa

From Paris you can easily take the TGV to Tours and from there see some of the chateaux of the Loire Valley. I did this as a day trip and it was fantastic.

Sep 21st, 2000, 07:35 PM
clairobscur

I agree with Christina about Mont-St-Michel and Britanny. All the other ideas seems fine, except perhaps,but not because it's not worth the visit. At the contrary, I think that Bruges deserve more than a daytrip. Keep in mind too that Lyon is a major city. Perhaps not your best bet if you intend to have a change. Loire valley is a must-see, of course.

Sep 21st, 2000, 07:36 PM
clairobscur

I meant except perhaps Bruges, of course.

Oct 13th, 2000, 04:04 PM
mARTA

tHIS IS MY FOURTH TRIP TO pARIS, AND
IT SEEMS THAT IS NOT ENOUGH... i JUST
READ A BOOK OF pARIS wALKS, AND THERE
ARE A LOT OF PLACES AND DETAILS THAT I Missed. So I will enjoy in November
5 more days on the City of Light and
try to know it a little better.