Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I went to the Trenitalia Website but it won't let me buy a ticket Rome to Venice

Search

I went to the Trenitalia Website but it won't let me buy a ticket Rome to Venice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What am I doing wrong?

I put in the departure info and the where to info. A list comes up. But it says NO under option to buy.

Don't tell me it is sold out? Or is it too early to buy ticket for Oct 7?
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

For tickets that cannot be purchased online (in other words, those which have "NO" in the Buy column), you need to go directly to a station or an authorised Trenitalia travel agency.

This is copied from their web site. So I should wait until I get to Italy? Or is there one of the agencies online?

I don't want to wait, what if it sells out???
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:52 PM

I too am buying tickets from Rome to Venice for travel in September. I noticed that the hour of the day seems to dictate if they are available to purchase on line or not.

Check at a different time of the day. I think when it is in the evening in North America they are not available to buy on line.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:13 PM

I think dwzemens has got it right - your time has to coincide with Trenitalia's open on-line purchase hours.

Keep trying - and Ira's detailed instructions on how to book on-line really helped me.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 07:18 PM

Keep trying, I got that a few times, but finally got the "buy" option. This was about a week ago for my trip in September. Don't worry, there's no way it's sold out already for your date.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Morning.

I went to the site again today and made some progress.

It will allow me to buy the tickets. But the price seems so high, 3 one way first class would be 201 Euro Rome to Venice.

Then I started thinking what about some sort of pass for seniors, what about a pass that includes this particular trip and would include more of a regular train back and forth from Cortona-Florence?

I did a search here and other sites for help in deciding what to do and I am overwhelmed with all the different options that don't even seem to apply to my situation.

What about senior discounts. If we can purchase senior discount cards, should we? How useful will senior discount cards be for my folks?

HELP, I need a step by step plan of purchase I think because I am being dunderheaded.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:53 AM
rfb

Unless you find an especially good price, wait until you get there and buy the ticket; then you won't need to worry about missing your train.

The only trains I've ever been on that were sold out were trains that departed immediately after a cancelled train. Or one of the few trains that run during a strike.

I can see no advantage to buying in advance unless you find a real bargain

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

All right. I will try to wait.

I did go to Railsaver and even though I clicked on "save money" it cam back a few dollars more than if I purchased from Trenitalia.

But what are the chances of saving money on the one way Rome to Venice trip? Is the price of 201 Euro what I should expect? How much cheaper COULD it get? If it won't go much cheaper I would rather buy the tickets now.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 05:55 AM
ira

Hi PLMN,

1 cl on the ES* is 67E. 2cl is 45E. You can't get it for less unless Trenitalia has a special promo.

Trenitalia is offering special 30E fares on ES* for travel on Saturday. You can buy the tickets online for Oct 9.

Click on the shopping cart for train you want. The price will come up "full fare". Click on "Promotions".

Enter the number of tickets you want at "Il Sabato di Trenitalia".

Click "purchase".

You have to register (for free) before you can buy on line.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:00 AM
eri

Why buy in advance?
Just go to the station, buy a ticket and get on the train. I found that the tickets on the web site are more expensive than those in the station. Had no problem at all getting tickets, even during the carnival. If you get first class tickets your seat is reserved.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:03 AM
ira

> I found that the tickets on the web site are more expensive than those in the station. <

Was that at www.trenitalia.com?

I have found that the prices are the same as at the train station.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:06 AM
GAC

It should be noted that the "Sabato di Trenitalia" promotional fare is capacity controlled, so seats may sell out quickly at the rate. Nevertheless, bear in the mind the following:

1. Eurostar Italia trains between Rome and Venice depart every TWO hours.

2. When first class seats at the promotional fare sell out, you may be able to get a seat in second class, on the same train, at the same promotional fare of 30 Euros; still a very good deal compared to the "rack" rate. So, if first class seats at the promotional fare are sold out for that train, check for the availability of second class seats for the same train.

3. These particular promotional rates are valid for travel on SATURDAY only.

4. Why travel first class on Eurostar Italia when second class is perfectly fine? You'll save 66 Euros for three tickets!!! Consider first class if you are very tall (over 6 ft., as leg room would be tight) or if you have a lot of luggage.

5. If you don't qualify for a promotional fare, I would wait and purchase the ticket in Italy one or two days before your planned day of departure from Rome. October 9 is NOT high season, and you should not have a problem finding three seats. Remember that these train accommodate up to 590 passengers!!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 08:41 AM
ira

>... wait and purchase the ticket in Italy one or two days before your planned day of departure from Rome. <

Considering what PLMN has been going through arranging this trip, I have the feeling that that is not an option.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Ira to the rescue again. You are so right on.

As for why I want first class: My father is 79 yrs old, has bad knees, is a little portly, and does not want to take the train in the first place.

So I was hopeful that the first class would be better for our family.

Is this probably the case? Especially with the luggage of three people?

Ira, I will look into your suggestions and let you know how it goes.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:42 PM
GAC

PLMN: Your circumstances certainly qualify you to go first class. As your departure date is on a Thursday in early October, I don't foresee that you will have any problem at all finding three seats in first class on one of the Eurostar Italia trains from Rome to Venice, which leave every two hours during the day. If buying the tickets in advance is more convenient for you, do so by all means, but remember that you'll need to change reservations if you decide to take another train at a different time or date from the one reserved/purchased.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Not going to take train on Sat. We are renting car to drive from Venice toward Cortona.

I just thought of something. What time would be best to check out of hotel in Rome to get to the train station? We are staying at the Albergo Cesari. I was thinking a train that leaves around 8:30AM or 9:AM might be good? According to the train website there are what I think are non-stop? 4 hour 33 minute schedules available.

I wanted to leave Rome early because we only have 2 nights in Venice.

If we depart the Rome area at 8:30 AM we should get into Venice around 1:00PM. Then we have to make our way to the B&B.

The train ride will be on a Thursday.

How long should it take to get from the train station in Venice to the San Polo area of Venice?

Darn, I wish we had more time for Venice. The way this is shaping up we probably should save the architecture exhibit mom wants to see for Friday, Oct 8.

Oh, g-d. I forgot she REALLY also wants to go to Murano Glass place.

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:36 PM

We're taking that same train from Rome to Venice next month, leaves at 8:55 and gets in at 1:30. We're probably going to take a water taxi from train station to hotel, which is the quickest. Vaporetto is cheaper, but longer and much less convenient, especially with your family circumstances. My understanding is that water taxi will be about 80E.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:20 AM
GAC

The fare of 80 Euros is from the AIRPORT to Venice, NOT from the train station!!!!!!!!!

Expect to pay around 30 Euros or less from the train station to your hotel. The vaporetto costs 3.50 Euros per person, one way.