Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I week in South of France, one week in Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-week-in-south-of-france-one-week-in-italy-450966/)

rbnwdlr Nov 11th, 2008 11:25 AM

I week in South of France, one week in Italy

I have posted previously about trying to plan a vaca this summer in Europe (rbnwdln - my home screen name). Still working on it. A question - If we decide to spend a week in the South of France and then a week in Italy, where would you spend the France week? We would fly into Marseille and I was thinking of taking the bus to Aix for maybe 2 nights, and then where for the remaining 4 days? Rent a car? How far to go? Thanks!

StuDudley Nov 11th, 2008 11:35 AM

Stay in Nice for those days. You can take trains to the coastal villages (except St Tropez). You'll need a car to explore the beautiful Nice Hinterland efficiently. Then take a train into Italy & rent a car there, if you'll need a car while in Italy.

Stu Dudley

luvtotravel Nov 11th, 2008 12:26 PM

I did that about ten years ago. We spent just over a week in Venice and the Italian Riviera (Santa Margherita to be exact), and then about a week in Antibes (near Nice). We relied on trains and rented a car in Antibes for several days to visit the area. It was one of our best trips.

rbnwdlr Nov 11th, 2008 12:57 PM

Both excellent advice. Especially the train/car advice. I was wondering how that should work. Now I will present this to my family and see if it flies. I am ALWAYS the travel planner with my family/friends and for the first time our adult son is making requests (nightlife), which is putting a kink in my style. Usually, everyone is happy to just follow me around and do what I tell them to do and go where I tell them to go! Hahaha

bobthenavigator Nov 11th, 2008 01:01 PM

I agree with Stu--as I often do. You will get more flights into Nice and it makes a good base camp.

rbnwdlr Nov 11th, 2008 01:30 PM

Do you mean we should fly into Nice, instead of Marseille? If we do, are you recommending just staying along the coast or is it possible/reasonble to drive to Aix and other Provence towns farther afield. Sorry to be such a dunce about southern France! Never been, can't judge distances, need to get a good map!

StuDudley Nov 11th, 2008 02:03 PM

Nice has more airline options - you can actually fly there directly from the US. It really depends on whether you want to visit Aix or not.

There are dozens & dozens of cute little villages arount Nice - there's realy no need to drive further into Provence (Avignon, Luberon, etc) to visit cute villages there. However, in just 6 days, if you want to visit them efficiently, you'll need a car.

If this was my trip, I would fly to Marseille so you can visit Aix. Just make sure you don't get there late on a Saturday or on a Sunday. Most shops in Aix will be closed on Sunday, and many on Monday morning also. When you leave Aix, rent a car & visit Cotignac, Tourtour, Aups, & Lourges on the way to Nice. Keep the car while in Nice - it's probably not any more costly for 4 days than 2. Visit Cannes, Old Antibes, Menton, & Villefranche by train. Visit St Paul, Vence, Tourrettes sur Loup, and Gourdon by car. If you find you prefer "backcountry, solitude, & cute/small villages", to large cities like Nice & Cannes, head north from Nice on the N202, and drive through the beautiful Gorges de Vesubie (D2565) to Lantosque. Then east on the D70 to the col de Turni, then south on the D5566, then the D21 to one of my favorite remote villages - Luceram. Then back to Nice via l'Escarene. This will take most of a day.

When you are ready to leave Nice, hop on the train to Italy. You can pick up a car in San Remo if that's a dood departing point for you. You can also go to Genoa & do the same. It will take a train change in Genoa to get to the Cinque Terra - where you won't need a car. After the Cinque Terra you can go by train to La Spezia & rent a car there.

Stu Dudley

rbnwdln Nov 11th, 2008 05:41 PM

Stu - I am sending you a kiss through the computer monitor. (Don't tell Mrs. Stu) This advice is exactly what I need! Someone who has been a million times, tell me the best spots to go! Yes! I need to get you together with my San Francisco son and you two could put together the trip of a lifetime! I am copying your suggestions and using it to make our plans. Again, thanks so much!

StuDudley Nov 11th, 2008 05:56 PM

Do you have my 27 page Provence & Cote d'Azur itinerary??? I also have one for Italy. If you would like one - e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll send it to you.

Stu Dudley

rbnwdlr Nov 12th, 2008 12:17 PM

Yes, I was looking through your guide last night. Very helpful. I am much more knowledgeable about Italy but I would love your expertise. Thanks!