I want to watch a bullfight!!!

Jun 30th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

I want to watch a bullfight!!!

Is Madrid the best place to watch a bullfight? What days of the week do they offer? Where can I get more info? Thanks.
Jun 30th, 2003, 02:22 PM

Sevilla is actually considered the most important bull ring in Spain. It is also unique because it is slightly oval rather than round. My husband and I went last Sept. The season begins in the summer and ends in early fall. I know that it is not considered pc in the US, but it is SUCH a huge part of the culture in Spain that I really wanted to see it. (Despite having a rather weak stomach for such things.) I had to drag my husband along because he did not really agree with the whole idea. However, after seeing it, I think he too understood and gained respect for the place it holds in Spanish culture. It is definitely gory and not a pretty thing to watch such a powerful animal be killed in such a manner (especially when the bullfighter is, shall we say, lacking in skills and can't kill the bull quickly, but is such an amazing drama that unfolds. I know there will be some people who totally disagree with supporting such activities, but I was very glad we expereicned it....Go to www.andalucia.com for more info...
Jun 30th, 2003, 02:32 PM

For background on bullfighting in Spain, Hemingway's "Death in the Afternoon" is a classic.
Jul 1st, 2003, 02:20 AM

Actually, the season in Seville is in the spring and fall. In the summer it is the season in the coastal areas, with the main events happening in Malaga, Puerto de Santa Maria, Marbella, Estepona ,Barcelona, Pamplona (starting next week at San Fermin) and other cities in the northcoast. There are websites that posts the calendar of events, www.portaltaurino.com or www.tauroentrada.com -this one even sells tickets online-.
Jul 1st, 2003, 05:25 AM

I have been to the bullfights in Barcelona. If you go to the fights, be sure to get a seat in the SHADE. The bullfights I witnessed were unique because the matador was on horseback. It was interesting to watch the skill of the matador riding around with sword in hand not using any reins. However, after watching this spectacle, I concluded that this is a very cruel sport. This is my own personal opinion. I would never go again. But, I think you should see it and decide for yourself.
Jul 1st, 2003, 06:57 AM

My bullfight experience is from a long time (30 years) ago, but I think the information will still be true.

While traveling on a student trip, our tour group went to the Sunday bullfights in Madrid, the usual venue to take tour groups. The bull ring was very large and full of tourists, loud and noisy who shouted "ole" no matter the skill of the matador.

Later in our trip we had a free day in Sevilla. It was the week after Easter and there were bullfights every day. A few of us discovered that our tour guide and bus driver planned to attend the bullfights that day, and we were able to join them. It was a totally different experience. The bull ring was much smaller, and the crowd was much more knowledgeable. For most of the action, the crowd was almost silent, watching and reacting to only the most skilled toreros and matadors. Also, we had seats right next to the entrance to the ring, where the participants waited before entering, so we had a closeup view (10 feet) of the magnificent costumes.

Yes, it is a bloody sport--I'm not sure what my reaction would be to it at this point in my life. But, if I intended to re-experience a bullfight, I would go to a smaller ring in a southern city (Sevilla, Cordoba) where bullfighting is at its most popular.
Jul 1st, 2003, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your very helpful info. I realize it is a bloody and cruel sport but it's part of the beautiful culture.
Jul 15th, 2003, 01:40 PM

Just back from Spain. Went to a bullfight in Madrid on a Sunday evening. Paid $25/ticket IN THE SHADE, and had wonderful seats. Great experience! Even though the fight starts at 7 pm it is light (and hot) until 10!
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:36 PM

If you want to see a bullfight that is not so bloody and cruel, go to Portugal. There they just wear the bull down, but they don't kill it.
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:49 PM

All I can say is, "Why?"
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:51 PM
rex

The bullfights of Lisbon really are cool - - it's all about the pageantry, and especially, fine horsemanship - - plus, the WAY they end the bullfight is very interesting (it's true, it does ultimately involve just wearing the bull down). The principal toreador subdues the bull by running directly face on and grabbing both horns, while his six assistants come up, in threes on either side of the bull's neck - - holding him immobilized, pure man against bull.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:51 PM

I went on a Sunday in Madrid last year and yes sit in the shade, it get very hot. Also rent a cushion, it hurts sitting on the stone seats after an hour! It was a bit bloody for me but fascinating at the same time.
Jul 15th, 2003, 03:50 PM

why would you want to watch an innocent animal murdered for sport?
Jul 15th, 2003, 04:29 PM

Guess what? This forum is about travel, not ethics. They have legal bullfights in Spain and Portugal, and the poster wants to see one. Offer advice or stay out of the thread. If someone wants to buy pot or get a hooker in Amsterdam I'd stay out of the thread because I don't approve. But I don't bash people for asking legitimate travel-related questions either. Grow up.

Anyhoo, in response, there was a recent travel channel show (Pilot Guide) on Portugal and the bullfights there looked very exciting, at least in the way they described it. Certainly sounds more fun, and less icky and cruel, than the ones in Spain. Maybe you can check your listings to see the show.
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:20 AM

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Jul 16th, 2003, 05:35 AM

While in the bullfight, just think about of the toreador, who is face to face to a bull weighing easily 8 times his weigh, armed with front horns like Toledo swords. Think of it, it is not allways the man killing the bull, sometimes it's au contraire . . . Really worth it, go for it . . .shade tickets
Jul 16th, 2003, 05:55 PM

No, you don't. I went to one in Mexico, it was awful. I did not have a good feeling at all when I left. I regret I went, and with my kids especially.
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:56 PM

Hi

The Nimes Feria has different forms of bullfight each day.

Add in the carnival atmosphere, and the 2000 year old arena location to make it worth considering.

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com
Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:46 PM

mote,
the madador chooses to be there, the bull doesnt. Let's not kill innocent animals for sport.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:29 PM
Intrepid

If you really want some "bull" and perhaps a "fight" of a different sort, simply do a search here with the name Degas...now, if we could only get he/she/it into one of those rings....

Search this Thread