Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I want to suprise my dear wife so please help me.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:15 PM
mohammed

I will be going to Milan for business for five days between January 2-7 and my wife will be accompying me. SHe has had a tough year with a miscarriage in July so I would like to suprise her by taking her somewhere for a week after Milan. Where do you think I ought to take her?! She is a lover of nature, as well as an accomplished shopper. She also finds drives relaxing. She has already been to Madrid, London, PAris and Venice. She is also always going on about the beauty of Interlaken (went there summer of 2000). Is there anything happening between January 7-14 in Europe that I should know about?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:29 PM
xx

Bellagio, Lake Como.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:32 PM
xxx

naaaaaaah Bellagio, lake como will be too cold in JAnuary. Why dont you take her to Southern france.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:35 PM
Nan

Take the train over the Venice, it is nice in the winter, if you like winter atmosphere. Or take the train down to Almafi coast where it may be a tad warmer. The south of France would be nice too.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:43 PM
Diane

Can't guarantee the weather, but maybe Rome...so much to see, such a social place, great shopping and restaurants. Drive down from Milan...stop somewhere in Tuscany for a night (or two?) turn the car in at the airport and get a car service or taxi into Rome.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:50 PM
nancy

Take her to Venice - no place like it in the world. A friend visited there last January and loved it, just bundle up. Not loaded with tourists and you can easily drive from Milan to Venice and perhaps stop at Lake Garda. This way she'll have a nice drive and lots to see and shop for in Venice. You have my vote for a great husband.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 05:37 PM
judy

Your wife will like Milan, too. It is a shopper's paradise; some of the best upscale shopping in Italy is to be found there. It is, after all, Italy's fashion capitol. Try the area around Montenapoleone Street for the best (read pricey) shops...<BR><BR>Judy, no longer in Germany

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 09:56 PM
Katherine

Sorry about your wife Since you will be in Milan I would concentrate on Southern Italy or maybe even Croatia. For shopping why don't you start out in Milan. You might be able to get some things on sale at the time of year that you are going.<BR>That is such a sweet thing to do for your wife. Another idea would be giving her a day at a Spa while you are in Italy. Do a search on Google and you should be able to pull up various websites that specialize in locating a Spa. Anyway the very best to you and your wife whatever you decide.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 10:42 PM
Jan

How about Cortina and the Dolomiti? It should be fairly lively at that time and has enough if you do not ski. I think the beauty of that area rivals Interlaken and the shopping and food far surpass it!<BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 11:20 PM
xxx

Let's see... if your wife loves shopping AND nature, then go to either Zermatt or Gstaad, both in Switzerland. Zermatt is just off the commonly-traveled route from Milan; you continue up to Brig, Switzerland, then to Visp and up to Zermatt. You'll have massive Alps, skiing and walking possibilities that will blow your mind, and shopping in high- and lower-scale shops that will blow your wallet. Gstaad is somewhat lower in altitude, but it's a good combination of Swiss Alpine village and glitzy resort. If you absolutely want snow all around you, Zermatt will be the best bet. Just beware, January can be pretty frigid in the mountains, but who cares: bundle up and cuddle up and... <BR><BR>Hotels? Can recommend Hotel Julen in Zermatt (great wellness center included); Gstaad has a number of places, or, you can stay in neighboring, quaint villages like Chateau d'Oex (Hostellerie Bon Acceuil is excellent), Sch&ouml;nried (Hostellerie Alpenrose), or Saanenmoser (Hotel Hornberg). <BR><BR>Above all: make reservations in advance!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:04 AM
xxx

Sorry, I short-changed my reply by not giving a Gstaad hotel: try Le Grand Chalet, as the name implies a chalet-style hotel that overlooks the village; or Hotel Bernerhof, right smack in the middle across from the train station. Both are 4-star, you can't go wrong...

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 01:33 AM
Vincent

I second Katherine's suggestion on Croatia, and in particular Dubrovnik, a truly romantic gem by the Adriatic, now fully restored to its former (read pre war) glory. The only problem is the weather in January: will it be rather on the Central European side (cold) or on the Med side (mild)? Could someone please comment on that

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:05 AM
helen

I really love Dubrovnik and all the small islands too. The weather is mild, usually in the 50s. January is not the height of season, but it is one of the warmest costal areas of Europe. I have not been there for some years but I still think it is a wonderful place to be.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:52 AM
Ann

I'd say Florence, Tuscany and Umbria.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:30 AM
SA

Switzerland, see the myriad of posts. Most anywhere you choose in proximity to Milan will be cold so...

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:56 AM
claire

Begin with shopping in Milan and then head south. If you all love wines &amp; the Italian countryside, even in winter you should check out Montalcino and staying at the city center Palazzina Cesira.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:39 AM
Rex

There are cheap flights from Milan to Portugal (Lisbon and Porto), Sardinia and Sicily. See www.europebyair.com for details.<BR><BR>I think that any of these could make for a great surprise one-week add-on.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:52 AM
Andre

Mohammed,<BR><BR>the posts suggesting mountain resorts are spot on IMO. Gstaad would be at the top of my list if you're not skiers, otherwise Zermatt. St. Moritz &amp; surroundings (Engadine) would be another great option. <BR><BR>If you're willing to rent a car, Cortina is also lots of fun. I don't know if your wife finds driving on icy mountain roads &quot;relaxing&quot; though It really depends on what you're used to.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:37 PM
yep

Good thread.<BR>