Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I want to stay in Paris close to shopping and resturants.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:13 AM
leslie

I will be in Paris early 2003 and would like to stay in a furnished apartment with my family of 5. I would love an apartment in the middle of shopping, theatres and cafes. Which area do you think is best for me?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:16 AM
fleur

Left Bank, around rue Jacob/Blvd St Germain.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:20 AM
mps

I stayd @ Astoria Opera 3 stars. Visit Astotel for pictures. Close to everything nice for a strol to Montmartre but still in a quiet and pleasant side road.

MPS

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Ira

Agree with Fleur.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Christina

I think the rue Jacob/bd St Germain suggestion is probably a good one. Finding an apt. for five isn't that easy and they will be expensive there, but it has what you want. Other areas could do depending on what kind of shopping you want and what type of theatres. I assume you mean movie theaters, rather than serious live theater for dramas or comedies which will be in French, of course (such as Racine or Moliere at the Comedie-Francaise in the 1st arr). If you need movies in English, there are a lot of them in St-Germain, the Champs-Elysees and MOntparnasse. I'd suggest Montparnasse as another possibility because it certainly has cafes and movie theaters, and there is a small shopping center at the base of the tower and other shops around.

If you mean theaters where top-end concerts may be held (ie, Chatelet or Champs-Elysees theatres), you might look around the lower end of the 9th arr or place Madeleine, which are both near Palais Garnier (for ballet/opera) and the major dept. stores and not far from the Champs-Elysees. There is one movie theater near the Opera which often has films in English, also (Gaumont Opera Premier).