Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I want to ask you what to do with 3 full days in provence! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-want-to-ask-you-what-to-do-with-3-full-days-in-provence-226943/)

Philip May 31st, 2002 05:00 PM

I want to ask you what to do with 3 full days in provence!

<BR>Thanks for insight.......<BR><BR>First of all, we have never been to provence (been to France several times). I share Karen Brown's taste (perhaps not her pocketbook). We love natural beauty, history and beautiful old architecture. My wife and 2 friends will be traveling together. We know ~ and willing to accept ~ that this is a survey itinerary. Please comment on our plans!<BR><BR>We arrive in Aix on the evening of Sunday October 6th. <BR><BR>On Monday we thought it made sense to visit Aix, Roussillon and Gordes. That night at Hotel les Bories.<BR><BR>On Tuesday we thought it made sense to visit Venasque and Avignon. We would then drive to St. Remy and stay at Chateau des Alpilles.<BR><BR>On Wednesday ~ visit the morning market. What else/towns would you recommend?<BR><BR>We travel to Paris on Thursday morning. Appreciate any suggestions on towns, shops, itinerary. We do have reservations but would adjust accordingly.<BR><BR>Thanks again~

Wayne May 31st, 2002 07:34 PM

While you are near it, you should visit on a day trip to Orange, with the best-preserved Roman amphitheater in the world. Also there's a triumphal arch from some time a few years B.C. Other than that, it's a neat town for strolling, with more old architecture all around. Pont du Gard is also worth a quick stop, but don't leave anything in your car in the parking lot.

Wayne May 31st, 2002 07:49 PM

In my previous response I meant to add a comment that your itinerary is clearly rather rushed, but if you want to see and visit those places, then it sounds OK to me. I had suggested Orange for that last day when you have nothing definitely planned yet.<BR><BR>An alternative to save a bit of packing and unpacking is to pick one place. All of the places you (and I) named in Provence are close enough to be visited on day trips from some central location without ever having to move.

itinerary Jun 1st, 2002 12:56 AM

Philip:<BR>I agree with Wayne. The 3 hotels are within 45 min. drive from each other.<BR>Drawbacks: 3 times packing & unpacking plus constantly driving around with all your belongings... No need to panic, but why take the chance.<BR>All three hotels are very nice, but from a practical point of view, I would book 3 nights in Chateau des Alpilles.<BR>Aix, Gordes, etc.. one day<BR>Avignon, Pont du Gard one day<BR>Wed market St R&eacute;my + Les Baux + Arles one day.<BR>October is a perfect time. You won't run into big crowds.<BR>

Philip Jun 1st, 2002 05:07 AM

<BR>Dear Wayne & Ininerary,<BR><BR>Thanks! I also do not like the packing / unpacking thing. I thought the distances were greater. That Sunday, we are arriving in Provence after drive from Eze. Knowing this, do you still think the 4 nights in St. Remy or 2 nights in Aix at Hotel Le Pigonnet and last 2 nights at Chateau des Alpilles in St. Remy?

itinerary Jun 1st, 2002 10:53 AM

Since you are coming in from Eze, one or two nights at Le Pigonnet sounds like a good idea. And you can then do the Lub&eacute;ron part on the way from Aix to St R&eacute;my. At least you're down to 2 hotels from 3!<BR>

chris Jun 1st, 2002 12:45 PM

We just got back from Provance and one of the highlights for us was Les Baux. <BR>We went in the morning right as it stopped raining. It was windy and beautiful and almost deserted.

PB Jun 1st, 2002 01:17 PM

&lt;&lt; Since you are coming in from Eze, one or two nights at Le Pigonnet sounds like a good idea. &gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Sorry "Itinerary", and I don't mean this to be rude, but you make it sound as though they were driving in from Denmark. Driving from Eze to St. Remy would only take three hours - three and a half max.<BR><BR>I would say stop in Aix for lunch, visit the town and continue on to St.Remy (if that's where Philip decide to stay).<BR><BR>One day visit the Pont du Gard and Uzes, another you can do a 'loop' in the Luberon - Gordes, Roussillon, Bonnieux, Lacoste and Menerbes (add Oppede-le-Vieux - it's worth a visit).<BR><BR>One tip - visit Les Baux at the end of the day or early in the morning - even in October there are lots of people there, especially tours, during the day.<BR><BR>PB<BR><BR>