I've fallen in love - with Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just come back from a 2 week break in Tuscany and I have to say a big thank you to everyone who posts on here. Everything I could have possibly wanted to know and stuff I didn't know I wanted to know was already on this site. We rented an apartment in Guardistallo and did day trips to as many places as we could, Volterra, San Gimignano, & Sienna were among our favourites. The one place we were looking forward to, Florence, we actually didn't think much of. It was a mad scrum of people, immense queues everywhere. If you are really into art it must be great but we had already been to quite a few galleries and museums so we just couldn't be bothered with the queues. The countryside was exactly as I had imagined it would be, simply stunning, it was wonderful just enjoying the driving around. The food and wine, well, what can I say, I have never eaten & drunk so much in my life! It was fun ordering things we didn't know and then wondering what would turn up. We are definately going back next year but we would stop somewhere more central such as Siena as we were too far out to visit some places like Cortona & Montepulciano as it would have meant drives of up to 2 1/2 hours each way. Its very true what someone on here said about it being easy to go north to south but not so easy going east to west as there aren't as many main or direct roads. We were quite nervous about the driving, but with good maps and a sat nav (which we found essential) we found it fine. Driving into and parking in Florence was certainly an 'experience' and apart from going round a roundabout the wrong way once in Cecina the only other thing we found difficult was sometimes working out how to use the petrol pumps. I can honestly say it was one of the best places we have been to and can't wait to go again next year. We are planning to do 2 weeks again in Tuscany in Sept but also 2 weeks in the lakes area in June so I am sure I will be scouring these boards again for more invaluable help and advice.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Sharone,

So glad to hear you had a wonderful trip. Italy is lovely all around! Maybe next time, you might want to try a different location as a base, not necessarily Siena, but something like Spello (Umbria) or Todi (Umbria), or around the Pienza area.

You really can't go wrong.

Buon viaggio!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Sharone...Our first trip to Tuscany we were based in the northern area. This November, we're heading south, staying just outside Montepulciano. I feel the same as you...now I want to explore the southern region.
We're going to stay at Montorio.
http://www.montorio.com/uk-home.htm

Another region of Italy that you may want to visit...the Dolomites. Amazing scenery along Val de Gardena....ahh!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:20 AM

All of our Tuscany trips are divided north and south of Siena.
This really allows us to hit what we desire without extra driving (rarely on the autostrada).
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:41 AM

also take a look at the area in the nw, bordering on france...."the new tuscany"...
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

The website for Montorio looks wonderful. Although I said we would probably stop in Sienna next time I really meant in that general area. I dont think I would like to actually stay in a large town or city. We were based in the small hill top town of Guardistallo and it was so charming. we really felt we were part of village life, wandering to the bar every morning for coffee and shopping in the alimentari. I much prefer smaller quieter places to actually stay in and then just visit the larger towns.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Ah, join the Italophile community!! I long ago decided that although my parents were Northern European stock, I was Italian in another lifetime.

But I'm sorry about your experience in Florence. I've found it horribly crowded and difficult in the past few visits. When we first started going, there were no lines to get into anything!! (1982) But if you can go in early spring or late fall, there should be fewer people.

Another good place to stay for touring around Tuscany and Umbria is Perugia (Not necessarily in the old hill city but close by.) It's not far to Deruta where the wonderful patterned pottery comes from.
Among other attractions.

Charnee
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Personally, I adore Florence but do not visit when it is summer or high season. I enjoy late fall and winter the most and gladly give up perfect weather for lack of crowds.

Italy is easy to fall in love with and we all have our special places there that have their own magic.

I also really enjoyed the Dolomites and Sicily and can't wait to return there in 2-3 years. This year it is a return to the big 3 to introduce my favorite country to friends.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Welcome to the club (falling-in-love-with-Italy-club!)

I had a similar view of Florence after my first visit there, but she won me over the next time and it's one of my favorite places now (over time I learned to plan a little bit better and go during the late autumn/winter...it made a big difference for me)
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

I think you are probably right about Florence. We will definately have to give it another go at a quieter time, we were already a bit rattled after driving in to the centre in rush hour traffic and trying to find the car park which didn't help. It certainly hasn't put me off my overall view of the place.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM

We normally go to Florence in November/December because I get comped tickets that have stipulations as to when we can travel (very low season only). It is much quieter there then and Florence is exquisite even in the cold. We did go at the end of May this past year because I got married there and wanted my guests to not have to deal with cold weather, plus I wanted an outdoor reception It wasn't so bad end of May because I believe a good amount of the American students had just gone home, or at least it felt that way. But yes, in June/July/August even September, the piazzas are like a sea of people!!! But there is of course a reason for that - it is so beautiful that everyone wants to be there!!! Next time you go try for off season and I highly recommend Gianna's apartments for rental -- she has two buildings all perfectly located at www.sleepinginflorence.com and www.florenceapartmentrentals.net There are a lot of posts about these on the Europe forum, so I'm not the only one who enjoys them so much!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:40 AM

I'm so glad you fell in love with Italy. I was surprised that I didn't. However, I fell in love with Spain when I didn't expect to. I expected to fall in love with London; I didn't, but I did fall in love with Paris.

All the unexpected feelings...they make travel so exciting!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Be going to Florence & Rome this November for the first time. Hopefully, just like the OP, I'd also fall in love with Italy.