Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I've done it again! Revised 3 wk S. Germany, Austria & Prague. Take a look and advise!

Search

I've done it again! Revised 3 wk S. Germany, Austria & Prague. Take a look and advise!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously I took the day off of work to get some research done, hence all my posts. Fodors should probably ban me from posting again! There are just sooooooo many options for this trip. Please check out revised itinerary. Still researching, so schedule is not complete. Just looking for opinions on our pace, places we are staying, etc. Still a little torn btwn staying in Reutte vs. Fuessen. Also, if we should cut a night from Salzburg and stay in Hallstadt.

We are in our early 30’s and enjoy spending our European vacations when combining gorgeous scenery, charming villages, some scheduled sightseeing, strolling the cobblestone streets and MOST importantly eating & drinking beer with the locals and fellow travelers. Thanks!

2 nights Rothenberg
2 nights Reutte
4 nights Munich
3 nights Salzburg
2 nights Melk
3 nights Vienna
4 nights Prague

Sat, Aug 12th Fly from Newark, NJ to Frankfurt, Germany
Sun, Aug 13th Arrive in Frankfurt, rent car from airport, drive 3 hrs south (RR) to Rothenberg
Sun- arrive late in Rothenberg
Mon-tour Rothenberg, sleep in Rothenberg
---------------------------------------------
Tues- Drive RR South to Reutte, sleep in Reutte
Wed- 60 mile Bavaria circle tour starting and ending in Reutte, sleep in Reutte
Thurs- 3 hr drive to Munich, drop off car at rail station or “downtown” location, sleep in Munich
Fri-Mike’s Bike tour
Sat-
Sun-Bike/hike river
Mon-2 hr train to Salzburg
Tues- Sound of Music tour
Wed-
--------------------------------------------
Thurs-2 hr train to Mauth Conc Camp via. Change in St. Valentin. Then train to Melk, sleep in Melk
Fri-Bike Danube Valley from Melk to Krems. Take tram or boat back to Melk, sleep in Melk
Sat-75 min train to Vienna, sleep in Vienna
Sun-
Mon-
--------------------------------------------
Tues-4.5 hr train to Prague, sleep in Prague
Wed-
Thurs-day trip to castles
Fri-
Sat, Sept 2nd Fly from Prague to Newark
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Looks OK to me. You are young enough to handle all the switches in transportation modes. I assume you want to go to RothenbUrg Ob der Tauber, not RotenbErg which is south of Heidelberg.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't miss the abbey at Melk. I was disappointed in most of it, as it was largely a building that led one from the parking lot to the chapel. But the chapel made up for it...gorgeous!!
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Please keep the suggestions coming! We may take a night away from Prague so we can stay in Hallstadt. I looks magical!
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 12:32 PM

The area on the Danube is really nice. We stayed in Durnstein which is so cute. I would definately stop and see it. We also stayed 2 nights in Hallstadt. It is beautiful and you can take a lift up the mountain and do the salt mine tour and eat or have beer at the restaurant at the top. We did some boating in the lake...they rent kayaks, canoes and I think paddleboats. I was trying to think what I would take the day off of if I wanted to add Hallstadt??
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We decided to pull a night away from Munich so we could add Hallstat in to our tour btwn Salzburg and Vienna. I cannot wait! Your suggestions have been EXTREMELY helpful and very much appreciated! Fodors is the BEST!
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:09 PM

JennaJ, I was going to suggest exactly what you changed; take a day off of Munich to stay in Hallstatt. The town is definitely worth visiting, and I think you made the right decision.
Otherwise I think your itinerary looks terrific!

Tracy
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Everybody, please note that tcreath has it right -- it's HallstaTT. I know it's a little thing but if you are trying to do research, then you must have the name spelled correctly.

Here's their website:

http://www.hallstatt.net/besucher/index.php3?lang=en
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tracy and thanks Betty for the correct spelling and for the fabulous website! The pictures look amazing. I cannot wait to experience Hallstatt's charm!