Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I thought Rome was going to be HOT in May (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-thought-rome-was-going-to-be-hot-in-may-703961/)

sidandspennysmom May 10th, 2007 03:43 AM

I thought Rome was going to be HOT in May

Ok- so we are leaving for Rome next week. For some reason, i thought it was going to be hot, so i have packed tank tops, short sleeved shirts, and capri pants with sandals and *gasp* flip flops.

Looking at weather.com, it says it'll be in the mid to low 70's and perhaps rainy.

what gives?

So, I guess i should replace the tank tops with short sleeved and long sleeved shirts, and add a rain coat and umbrella. boo hoo.

caroline_edinburgh May 10th, 2007 04:04 AM

It is normally more likely to be quite hot than not, although you'd probably need a jacket at night.

I'd take a mix of everything - except flip flops, which are no fun for pounding city streets, many of which are cobbled. Sturdy sandals are better.

Dukey May 10th, 2007 04:07 AM

What nasty woman here said that flip[ flops marks you as a tourist??????

Prepare for hot weather and take in all those palm trees..enjoy Rome.

sidandspennysmom May 10th, 2007 04:11 AM

whatever, dukey

caroline_edinburgh May 10th, 2007 04:12 AM

Not me - I just said they are uncomfortable for city streets.

TommieG May 10th, 2007 05:01 AM

Somehow the weather in Europe has been a little bit reversed the last month. Very hot for the time of year in northern France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany (and maybe some other countries north of Paris). Aand very coll for the time of year in the more southern parts of Europe (Spain, Italy, Portugal).

But checking the weather; that seems to have changed. Rain and cold heren in the Netherlands and 30 degrees (about 85 Fahrenheit) in Milan.

But I must say that mid-seventies does not seem tht cold to me for Rome. In the Netherlands that would be considered pretty warm.

kybourbon May 10th, 2007 05:33 AM

Leave the tank tops at home. You aren't allowed in the churches wearing sleeveless.

sandi_travelnut May 10th, 2007 05:34 AM

What gives? You thought wrong, that's all. Just look at the weather websites before you start packing. I don't think you'll necessarily need bad weather gear or anything just be prepared for a little rain.

Kate_W May 10th, 2007 05:35 AM

Unload half the tank tops and replace them with cotton or silk cardigans. Then you'll have layers that will see you through a wider range of temperatures (and allow you to cover up in churches).

missypie May 10th, 2007 05:39 AM

We were in Rome at the end of May last year and froze...days with the highs in the low 60s (we packed for the high 80s). Of course, the year before at that time, folks were roasting!

iamq May 10th, 2007 05:47 AM

We were in Rome last month and had temperatures in the low to mid 70's and it felt MUCH hotter than that. It was wonderful. I'd be happy with that forecast if I were you.

fmpden May 10th, 2007 05:48 AM

Missypie, is correct. We were there the same time last year. It was so cold one night that the sidewalk cafes did not open. Our normal traveling wardrobe always includes a long sleeve shirt and a light weight sweater. Because, EVERYONE said that Rome is always hot, we left those items at home. We should have known better. I was wearing to shirts and my rain jacket in an effort to stay warm. You always have to be prepared for unexpected weather --- we were not. Won't happen again!

missypie May 10th, 2007 06:23 AM

I wore my long sleeved microfiber pajama top under my clothes one night to dinner!

The moral of all of these stories is to check the weather forecast before you leave and adjust accordingly.

I have a big problem with being cold on summer vacations. I live in Texas and when it is 105 degrees outside and I see a weather forecast that says 60s, I think "that sounds fantastic!" Then, I don't pack appropriate clothes and freeze.

I know that folks say "just buy things when you are there." The ability to do that depends on when you arrive and where you are. For example, if you arrive in many cities on a Saturday after the stores clothes, you may have to wait until Monday to be able to buy anything. And many historic centers of town do not have clothing stores. Plus, if you are traveling with kids, you may have to go to lots of different stores to find the right sizes, unless you can find a large department store. And of course, in Venice, all we could find were the big name designers-Prada, etc.

MaureenB May 10th, 2007 06:36 AM

Last year, we were in Rome beginning on May 8. It was very pleasant weather, probably in the 70s, but cool enough at night to need a jacket. It poured rain one morning, then cleared by about 11:30. You never know. Just BRING LAYERS.
:)>-

Girlspytravel May 10th, 2007 06:41 AM

Sida-I disagree with Caroline on the flipflops issue-if you have the right comfy cushy flip flops they will take you through the days of walking Rome like no other sturdy sandal ever will-I take nothing BUT flip-flops to Italy, London, Paris-but particularly Rome, in the summertime-take them, you'll be glad you did.

missypie May 10th, 2007 07:06 AM

I have to agree....my Teva flip flops are the most comfortable shoes I own. They were great in Rome.

Girlspytravel May 10th, 2007 07:11 AM

I have Tevas too-and I need a new pair of those, because I wore mine out through the streets of Bangkok AND Rome.

However my preference is Rocket Dog-because of the 1 1/2 inch foam footbed, plus, some styles have the thong part done in tasteful shiny beads that dresses them up-I wore mine into the Vienna State Opera House last May. Which reminds me, they DO have a website, and I want a couple of new pairs!

ekscrunchy May 10th, 2007 09:51 AM

Speaking of comfortable shoes, I saw such cool-looking Dr. Scholls' on sale in Italy..I would look out for these when you are there...they are not available in the US.

Girlspytravel May 10th, 2007 09:55 AM

You know, Ek-I can't remember where I was when I saw those Dr. Scholl's you are referring to-but I thought they were quite stylish myself-I believe I was window shopping in Brussels when I saw them last October-and made a mental note then. They might be available on-line.

SeaUrchin May 10th, 2007 09:59 AM

I check out weather.com right up until the day I leave, checking the long term forecast. You can't pack for what happened a year ago. Take layers as others who travel frequently have said.