Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I think I was mistaken for a hooker in Milan last night!

Aug 12th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

I am a solo female traveler and ventured out to explore the city last night. I emerged out of the subway seeking a night spot I had read about in one of the tour books that was a bit dated. Within two blocks a car pulled over and the man called to me and said he was a policeman, plain clothes apparently and pulled out supposed credentials. He informed me that I was walking in a dangerous neighborhood and I should get out of there. He offered to drive me where I wanted to go but I of course declined. I headed back to the subway....it was only two blocks away. Every single car on the road in that two blocks pulled over to proposition me! I don't know what they were saying, it was Italian. I now realize that the two women I had passed on my walk were both hookers. I was dressed attractively but not with great exposure. Does anyone else have near risk experiences like this?
Aug 12th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Quite scary; you were a smart cookie in not getting in that car! That said, areas near Italian subway stations seem to be of particular notoriety after dark, so travelers beware. In May 1993 I stayed behind to watch the Rome Colosseum nights lights while my husband went to the hotel to rest. We were staying at the Sheraton Roma and there is a subway station within close proximity. There is this nice family park near the hotel and the station. Well, after dark that pleasant family park turns into an outdoor brothel and drugs outlet. I have never been more scared in my life than walking back to that hotel. On the way, cars stopped and asked and proposition. I sprinted for the hotel as fast as I could.
Aug 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM

I suspect prostitutes know when someone is offering them business.

Why someone would "show credentials" I cannot imagine...what was the point of that?
Aug 12th, 2007, 06:26 AM
ira

Dukey asks,

>Why someone would "show credentials" I cannot imagine...what was the point of that?<

To lure the victim into thinking that it was safe to get into the car.

Aug 12th, 2007, 06:27 AM
ira

Hi NC,

>... a car pulled over and the man called to me and said he was a policeman, ...informed me that I was walking in a dangerous neighborhood..<

In English?

Could have been a policeman.

Still, safer to have refused the ride.

Aug 12th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Possible nasty experience avoided. Well done.

Milan has a seamy side with high levels of drug (needles in the street) and prostitution.

Having booked into a hotel which was basicailly a hookers office when younger I noticed the following.

Prostitutes generally in Milan dress down as Milanese women dress very well all the time.
Aug 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM

However there are certain streets which are basically hooker avenues and you should not walk after dark on these alone. The milanese will know this and avoid. Probably best to ask reception about walking at night in Milan
Aug 12th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Another good reason to avoid Milan.
Aug 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM

I think I was mistaken for a prostitute years ago in France. It was disturbing altho' not risky or frightening.

My friend and I were staying in a small pensione in Nice. The place seemed normal enough but at night we would hear distant voices and music like all night partying, but the noises were muffled and we couldn't tell where they were coming from.

There was a cafe on the first level, which also looked normal enough. One afternoon I was sitting there drinking a Fanta, minding my business, and a Frenchman seated at the table next to me suddenly leaned over and asked, in accented English: "Very much money, love in the room, you and me?"

I really don't look or dress like a hooker, and have no idea where he got that idea, unless the place was connected to a brothel. To this day I've never figured the whole thing out. Anyway, I gave him a dirty look and told him he was crazy and booted out of there in a hurry. But the experience really upset me.
Aug 12th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Hmmmmmm. Well, you have come up with a possible solution for beating the high cost of the euro to the dollar.
Aug 12th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Neo - LOL

To answer the OP - No it has never happened to me. (Damn)
Aug 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM

I have no doubt that ncounty, Viajero2, and panecott found their experiences unpleasant. I suspect that the character who told ncounty that he was a policeman was telling the truth, but I think she was wise to decline his offer -- 99% confidence is not enough in such circumstances.

But I suggest that none of the three was in much danger. Men who are prepared to pay for sex are not very likely to abduct a woman who is not in the market. In many cases, areas where there is prostitution are well-policed, either by the official police or by pimps. Such streets can be relatively safe; the danger starts when a woman gets into a car.

But straying alone into such an area is not an experience that many women would enjoy.
Aug 12th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Yes, but my experience was in Florence. We had dined at a restaurant and decided to stop for a gelato. Because my feet were hurting I stayed on the street corner while my husband went for the gelato, and up came a man driving a Mercedes. He pulled up and propositioned me; fortunately my husband saw what was going on and ran back. This was not even in a bad neighborhood, and I certainly was not dressed in a way to attract attention.
Aug 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM

LOL, men!!!

Twice when in Rome I have had Roman businessmen try to "pick me up". Neither mentioned paying anything though. I think they thought they were so "hot" that..well you know!
Aug 12th, 2007, 01:29 PM

At least you've got a great cocktail party story
Aug 13th, 2007, 04:26 AM
ira

>..I stayed on the street corner while my husband went for the gelato,..<

What is a man to think when he sees a woman standing on a street corner at night?

Aug 13th, 2007, 04:34 AM

ira asked: "What is a man to think when he sees a woman standing on a street corner at night?"

In a perfect world: nothing much -- thoughts like not bumping into her, perhaps admiring her if she appeals to his eye (and no more than that).

The world is not perfect.
Aug 13th, 2007, 04:59 AM

Better a hooker than a hausfrau.

I'd only be insulted if the offers were at the low end of the monetary scale.
Aug 13th, 2007, 05:04 AM

Ira, thanks for clarifying the "credentials" bit...makes sense.

I cannot imagine "avoiding" Milan because it has some prostitutes and some street crime, however.
Aug 13th, 2007, 05:13 AM

"I cannot imagine "avoiding" Milan because it has some prostitutes and some street crime, however."

Gee, if you avoided every place that has prostitutes (not to mention street crime) you'd have to stay home!!! Is there a city in the world that has NO such thing as a prostitute?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO