COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I suspect that the people cancelling their European vacations are a vocal minority

I suspect that the people cancelling their European vacations are a vocal minority

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 04:33 AM
Patricia

I can't get over the number of people on this bulletin board who are cancelling their European vacations due the plane crashes of three weeks ago. It seems like people are losing a significant amount of money by cancelling.

My theory is that most people who had vacations planned to Europe after October 1st are still going and those who cancelled are more likely to use this board to pent and tell everyone how fearful they are.

The stories about people having nightmares and asking every person they know if they should go, seems a bit fishy to me.

Do you think as many people are cancelling pre-arranged trips to Europe as this board would indicate?

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 04:50 AM
xxxx

I'm afraid you are going to be flamed till Kingdom come for this post. But I have to agree with you, they cancelled so they want the rest to follow suit so they don't feel left out or wrong.
It is a individual descion but I think those who are going are just going or have gone don't feel the need to justify .

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:30 AM
Traveler

I think that the type of person who canceled their trip are basically needy/scared personalities and really did not want to go in the first place. The risk now days just gave them a chance to justify not going in the first place. What I do not like is the people on the board who agreed with their fears. This site is to promote travel, not discourage it.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:31 AM
curious

No, I believe that many people really are canceling. Statistics on airline travel bear this FACT out. You cannot argue with the FACTS that travel is down. All you have to do is listen to the news and you will hear how few people are traveling.

Also please don't say that people are lying about having nightmares. I've had my third, incredibly terrifying nightmare just last night, the likes of which I have never had in my entire life. I'm sorry if you think people are making this up but they aren't. I can't tell you how much I wish it were a lie.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:32 AM
belle

(Heh heh, Yeah you are going to get flamed big time.) I actually think it is about 50/50. My aunt and uncle are going with a tour group to South Africa and about half cancelled. I will be interested to know how many will be on our tour.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:34 AM
curious

Just wanted to add that I admire those who can continue on with their plans without fear. I don't think people want to be afraid but they just can't help it.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:49 AM
Sherry

Has anyone looked into the increase in the use of shrinks by people who are having nightmares and fears about traveling but still need to go?

I suspect that it is a boom business right now.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:06 AM
Howard

Patricia, please don't turn the situation into a litmus test for bravery. A lot of people cancelled their trips for a variety of reasons, as we did. One was the uncertainty of the world situation two weeks ago. Another was the possibility of being stuck overseas. (For me, that would have been a disaser, businesswise.) A third was the fact that this was to be a joyous personal experience for my wife and me. Once the events of September 11 occurred, the joy of anticipation was gone...and with it the desire to go. In short, it was a personal decision. We like to refer to it as a postponed trip, rather than a cancelled one.
Further, we don't feel we have to apologize for or justify our decision not not to go at this time.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:19 AM
Lee

Patricia, this is indeed some kind of subject and a good one.

There are those who will go and those who will not and probably for different reasons.

Six of us are leaving for Rome on Saturday, so count us among those that are going.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:26 AM
Kathy

I've been back from my trip for a week. I flew out on 9/16, after being scheduled to leave on 9/14, on the first flight leaving the U.S. for my destination in Europe. And I just booked tickets for the same destination over Christmas.

You can't live your life in fear. It really and truly is as simple as that.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:38 AM
sandi

Patricia,

As the news stated many times, all over the world tourism is way down and is effecting restaraunts, hotels, cruise lines, airlines etc.. That alone should tell you that many people were effected by this in a way that apparently you were not. I didn't have a trip planned, but if I did I would give great thought about how I felt about my personal saftey etc.. It is certainly no one's business what decision I or anyone makes about cancelling a trip. I think people are confused about what to do and are trying to "feel out" the situation on this board. Some people may also feel a little guilty about having fun when so many are still suffering. I can't believe that you think a story about people having nightmares seems fishy. My God, not a day goes by that I don't have a flash of images of Sept.11th in my head, and I am pretty far removed from NY.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:49 AM
abc

Whoever said people are needy/scared personality types if they cancel overseas trips is a moron! There are several warnings out for Americans to be extremely cautious if overseas. They could be kidnapped by terrorists and killed if war breaks out. No one knows when that will happen. A trip isn't worth your life.

Wise up people! Naivety will get you nowhere! I suppose the moron above loves money more than anaything if he'd rather lose his life over money.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 08:43 AM
CL

bwaaaack bwaaack! The sky's falling, the sky's falling! bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if I stayed here in the USA, I could be killed or kidnapped by terrorists if a war breaks out. Goodness knows, a trip to the mall or a ride on the subway isn't worth my life. So, ABC, what do *you* suggest I do? Where should I go to be "safe"? Antartica? The Yukon? Wise up, jerk, there is no safe place to be right now, and *moronic* hysteria about travel to Europe ain't gonna do me any good the next time a terrorist hits us here at home.

On the other hand, go ahead and keep it up. I'll be free to enjoy Paris. And I won't have to worry about bumping into you while I'm there.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 08:55 AM
aaa

you could get kidnapped by a terrorist or a lunatic here in the US too. Or you could just take a short drive on any interstate and get killed, step in front of a bus, whatever.

Fear is to warn you of a danger , not to make you into a coward...somebody famous said that , but damned if I remember.

travel or not . it's your choice but don't try to lay a guilt trip on us or call those of us who will be going stupid. we made our choice , you make yours

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 09:55 AM
sandi

I can't believe the hostility on this board regarding this situation. You think it's stupid for people to feel scared and then choose to not travel thousands of miles away? No one has ever said that they'd be safer if they stayed home! Some people just FEEL safer if they home, with loved ones. No one is trying to make travelers guilty, just as those who choose to travel should lay off the ones who want to stay. The level of insensitivity on this board has reached a new all-time high.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 09:57 AM
abc

And those who want to stay should lay off those who want to go. Fair's fair.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:00 AM
sandi

I absolutely agree. If I had a trip planned, I believe I would go.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:03 AM
abc

Yes, you can get killed anywhere, anytime for any reason, but if you are being warned about going to travel for fun or business in another country, then you should take that into consideration. If you are in a foreign country, no one is going to know if you are missing or not. You're also not going to have any family or friends around to keep fire under the shoes of those who are trying to find you or solve a crime.

Most people have common sense about this, but a few people on this thread have their blinders on.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:04 AM
Bob K.

We leave for Sicily in early December and thus far our travel group has mailed us our air itinerary last week with the normal request for info as to passport numbers, excact name spellings, etc. Routine, thus far!

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:13 AM
Angry

Patricia:
Not Europe but: Vacation travel here in San Francisco is off by 50%. Major hotels are running at 15%-30% occupancy. Tourist popular restaurants are empty. Somebody is canceling their vacations.
I take vacations as a reward to myself and as a "celebration." Due to severe finantial setbacks due to this crisis and because I have no cause for reward or celebration, I have officially cancelled all of my vacation time for the next 15 months. If I had unlimited funds I am still not in the mood to travel. This has nothing to do with fear. I'm ready to leave today on a plane to Afganistan to "thank" Bin Laden and his friends for all their "help". Just send me a ticket and let me bring my "protection" with me on the plane.
It's not fear that keeps me home. It's just that the party dosen't seem like fun anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO