Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I spent too much time in ... - what places did you stay too long? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-spent-too-much-time-in-what-places-did-you-stay-too-long-569521/)

WillTravel Nov 7th, 2005 10:49 PM

I spent too much time in ... - what places did you stay too long?

I like the Slow Travel idea, although I don't follow it entirely. But even the most dedicated slow traveler might have stayed too long in a particular location.

In my case, I can't think of any place where I've stayed too long, but based on the responses to the recent Rome thread and others, some people have had that experience.

If you have overstayed in one place, where was it and why did you find that to be the case?

marigross Nov 8th, 2005 02:13 AM

We would LOVE to be slow travelers but we do not have the money or enough vacation days! Maybe when we grow up...

The very few times it has happened (Bilbao and Siena come to mind) we have just left and winged it a night or two until our next 'scheduled' stop. If you are slow traveling this might not work out because you are most likely renting an apartment.

RufusTFirefly Nov 8th, 2005 03:22 AM

Florence. For one reason or another, I've had to go there several times over the past 40+ years, and I've never found it enjoyable. Crowded, polluted, noisy, dirty, hot, humid--and I don't particularly care for Renaissance art.

LadyOLeisure Nov 8th, 2005 04:04 AM

I spent too much time at home!!!!
I've never spent too much time anywhere, although the most time we've ever spent in one place in Europe has been 8 or 9 days on our first trip when we went to Paris. Since we've been back twice (once for a week, once at the end of a longer trip in France for 3 days) we obviously liked it. We didn't stay any more than 3 days in any Italian stop on our longest European trip, but we'd have been happy to stay a week in almost every one of them (except perhaps for the Amalfi Coast, but I can see where a longer stay there, depending on the type of vacation one might aim for, would certainly be lovely.)

It probably ALL hinges on your intent. A dear friend and Fodorite from DC spent a month? 6 weeks? in Florence, taking an Italian course and it sounded fabulous. Since I love dreaming about how cool it would be to live anyplace we visit, I think I could happily spend 10 days in just about any of them, including Caribbean beach locations where there's not much else to do than float in the sea and drink pretty fruity rum concoctions!

wliwl Nov 8th, 2005 04:20 AM

After having already been there for several brief visits, I spent 4 days in Washington DC and it was 4 too many. I just don't like DC.

In Europe I've spent 4 days in Paris (not enough), then 10 days in Paris (not enough), then a week in Paris (not enough). We spent a week in Rome (just right). I guess that qualifies as SlowTravel.

Nikki Nov 8th, 2005 04:32 AM

Jail.

LJ Nov 8th, 2005 04:51 AM

We spent a week in Morecambe one night...

Statia Nov 8th, 2005 04:52 AM

Can't think of a single place that I stayed too long. I will ALWAYS find something to entertain me. :)

Cassandra Nov 8th, 2005 05:00 AM

Had already planned to say Florence when I read RufusTFirefly's response. Sad, though.

There's also "South of the Border" (on US's NC-SC border) where anything over 1/2 hr. is too long.

ira Nov 8th, 2005 05:05 AM

Heathrow

Kristinelaine Nov 8th, 2005 05:11 AM

We spent too many hours in the Newark, NJ airport last January when we had to leave Detroit early to get out ahead of a storm and then had a 7-hour layover in Newark before our flight to Portugal left. I can't think of anywhere else I thought we had too much time. In fact, we often find interesting things to do and see when it turns out that we have a little more time than absolutely necessary!

karens Nov 8th, 2005 05:46 AM

Las Vegas

Dayle Nov 8th, 2005 05:59 AM

Barstow

Fraggle Nov 8th, 2005 06:18 AM

I'd second Las Vegas. Two nights is enough.

sfowler Nov 8th, 2005 06:21 AM

Quebec Ville, Quebec, Canada is a two day stop. I was there 4. I'm not complaining -- we are and drank well and took a bus tour even outside the city, but how many times can you do the sdame thing over again ??

cobbie Nov 8th, 2005 06:35 AM

O'Hare - seems like every time I go to Chicago there is a weather delay.

Amanda23 Nov 8th, 2005 06:35 AM

I am probably going to get slammed for saying this, but we felt 4 nights in Lake Como in Italy was far too long. We waited it out because we had hotel reservations and it was the very end of a three week trip and we were tired, but we got kind of bored, I have to say...

Marsha Nov 8th, 2005 06:40 AM

O'Hare (ice storms) and Las Vegas (phony).

Princess Nov 8th, 2005 06:41 AM

That's funny about spending too much time at the Airports! Ha! Ha! Yes, it does happen, but our poster probably meant cities, and that's why I laughed when I read Ira's "Heathrow"! Love it!

StCirq Nov 8th, 2005 06:47 AM

Madrid - except for the Prado, wish I'd just skipped it and gone straight to Andalucia.