Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I see rain in the forecast for Rome next week!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can that be in late May?
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Unfortunately rain and vacations seem to go together like butter on bread! It never fails to rain when I am on vacation. We were in Rome in March and it rained the day we visited the Colliseum and the Roman Forum, and the day we went to Pompeii. Don't let it ruin your trip. I'd spend a rainy day in Rome over a rainy day at home in St. Louis anyday!
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Unfortunately rain and vacations seem to go together like butter on bread! It never fails to rain when I am on vacation. We were in Rome in March and it rained the day we visited the Colliseum and the Roman Forum, and the day we went to Pompeii. Don't let it ruin your trip. I'd take a rainy day in Rome over a rainy day at home anyday!
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Oops, sorry for the double post. My computer locked up and I refreshed, hence the double posting. Sorry!
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:26 AM

Don't trust what you see online. The online weather reports are often wrong! Go and enjoy Rome, and maybe it won't rain at all!
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:01 PM

ahh - the golden egg: perfect weather

With my upcoming trip to the Italian Riviera I've been checking weather.com, weatherunderground and other sites - getting conflicting predictions. One day I see a trend towards sunny, partly cloudy (oh joy) the next day, scattered showers (boo). And then there's the person bragging about how they had 10 PERFECT days which invariably makes me wonder if it's karmic retribution when it rains on my vacation. I've learned to go with the flow - somethings one has no control or influence over.
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Sera,
One of my favorite memories of Rome is of a rainy day. It had started to rain a little when we started our tour at the Vatican, and as we came into the Sistine chapel and looked up at the ceiling to God's hand reaching out toward Adam there was a huge BOOM of thunder! God had spoken! It was such an amazing experience, it still gives me goosebumps to think about it!

Then we stood under the overhang watching the torrential rain pour down in front of St. Peter's for awhile before dashing for a taxi.

The combination of awe-inspiring art and architecture and the overwhelming power of Nature are forever etched in my mind.

I'm sure your trip to Rome will be great no matter what the weather!

Old May 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM

The week leading up to our 10-day trip to Rome over Easter, rain was predicted EVERY DAY! It ended up raining two evenings, and only for a short time. When it does rain, hundreds of umbrella vendors suddenly appear! Don't worry!
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Just bring a foldable umbrella..However sera be prepared,because when it rain in Rome it Pour!!It is a national joke about the rain in Rome..
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:48 PM

There are plenty of museums and churches and palaces, etc. to visit on rainy days.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:08 PM

I don't care if it rains while I am there in two weeks, I just want to know how HOT it is going to be. If it is anything like last year, I do not think we will survive.
Old May 20th, 2004, 01:39 AM

The Forecast still shows rain and cold weather for next week. As a rule Europe generally sits at a higher latitude than the U.S. I suppose it's just bad luck if your going to rome that week. I doubt that it will be a steady rain though.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:07 AM

Weather forcasters can't accurately tell you what it's going to be like tomorrow let alone next week,don't worry about things you have no control over,you will enjoy your trip more.
Old May 20th, 2004, 02:55 AM

I don;t get it. Why is this such a problem? Its not like this is a beach resort and it will ruin the vacation. Much of rome is just as good in the rain as in the sun. Just bring a tiny umbie and forget about it.