Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I really messed up with sncf tix; any recourse? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-really-messed-up-with-sncf-tix-any-recourse-626952/)

grandmere Jun 27th, 2006 06:47 PM

I really messed up with sncf tix; any recourse?

I probably already know the answer to this question but thought I would give it a shot: I was getting tickets for us and another couple for trip from Annecy to Paris, and I inadvertently bought tickets for tomorrow (the default box) instead of Sept. I thought I had checked and double checked everything but obviously not. I can defend myself (to myself!) that there was lots of commotion going on with all 4 of us talking, the other couple's cc not working, etc, but plain and simple, I messed up. I suppose there is no way that they will refund my money for these non-refundable, non-exchangeable tickets. I sent an email and tried to call the number, but it was already past 10:00; I will try again tomorrow. Anyone ever succeed at this?

Live and learn and triple check, I guess :-(

socialworker Jun 27th, 2006 07:20 PM

Hi grandmere--I hope someone in the SNCF shows mercy to your plight. I once did a similar thing in that I reserved non-refundable tkts on an airline for the wrong departure date. As soon as I received my confirmation email I realized my mistake, called immediately, sounding quite distraught at my error and they changed them w/o a fee. I wish you good luck--you deserve it!! Please let us know how it works out.

PS--I will always be grateful to you for recommending the Rohan in Strasbourg. :)

MaureenB Jun 27th, 2006 08:28 PM

Good luck-- maybe SNCF has the 24-hour rule that airlines use. Report back, so we all know, ok?

kevin_widrow Jun 27th, 2006 10:04 PM

Grandmere,

Think positively. The SNCF guys can be suprisingly accomodating. Let them know it was an honest mistake and as proof, indicate that there is simply no way you can get from the US overnight to Annecy just to take the TGV back to Paris.

I am sure this is not the first time such a thing has happened.

Also, let them know you do not want your money back, but just want to get the correct date.

Bon chance,
Kevin

schnauzer Jun 28th, 2006 12:19 AM

I had a bit of a muck up last year over sending tickets to Oz etc. I emailed and got one really nice chappy who helped and then received another email from someone else saying they couldn't help. However the first person came good and all was resolved. It depends on the luck of the draw. Make sure you try asap and keep trying don't give up at the first negative response. You can get others who may help. schnau

grandmere Jun 28th, 2006 05:56 AM

Thanks for everyone's advice and good wishes; it looks as though it may turn out to be ok after all. I called sncf number, and the fellow told me the address to which to send the erroneously made printed tickets with a note explaining what happened. I must say I am happily surprised; I thought it was a done deal. Whew! Not the end of the world but not the way I wanted to spend 128 euro!

suze Jun 28th, 2006 11:50 AM

grandmere, Good work on unraveling the tickets. Please post back what you think of Annecy. I hope to add that to a Geneva area trip myself in the future.

milliebz Jun 28th, 2006 02:31 PM

I was told that if you missed the Eurostar train that you had no recourse. Tears worked.

missypie Jun 28th, 2006 02:38 PM

When we went to Paris, I had enough FF miles for three tickets and I paid for two. When I booked the three on line I was here in the office and was busy and got one day off on the date and had to pay $100 per ticket to change my "free" tickets to the right date. Now, everytime I am making travel arrangements I tell myself "I will not multitask, I will not multitask, I will not multitask......."

grandmere Jun 28th, 2006 04:02 PM

Milliebz, I guess in a sense I did "miss the train", but I realized my mistake a minute after I completed the transaction on line. Even the SNCF would have to recognize that if I were making reservations here in USA at 4:00 a.m. France time, it would be impossible for me to be at the Gare de Lyon by 11:00 a.m. Even the non-existent Concorde would have been hard pressed to get me on that train. :-)

Yes, Missypie, these little errors can be very costly; helps to know that others make them--I really felt very foolish last night. But you are right on about multitasking, and that's exactly what I was doing.

grandmere Jun 29th, 2006 05:28 PM

Looking not so good again: I sent an email off to SNCF immediately after I made the mistake the other evening, and the email I received today said, in effect, "Tough cookies!"

I mailed the printed tickets and explanation today as the man on phone suggested, so we'll see if that brings better results.

Off to HHI for a week with family tomorrow!

schnauzer Jun 30th, 2006 12:56 AM

I got the tough cookies response as well, I think that is standard. You will probably be OK by the sounds of things. Good Luck.

cocofromdijon Jun 30th, 2006 01:32 AM

I cross my fingers for you grandmère!

à bientôt and enjoy your week away!:-)

coco