I put the airfare search engines to the test

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I decided to put a bunch of the airfare search engines to the test. I put in the identical dates of travel from Boston to Paris CDG May 25 - June 10. I've been poking around for the last few months, so these dates aren't arbitrary, they are as of today the cheapest early summer dates from a consensus of airlines to/from these locations(if I wait until June to leave it gets much more expensive). I searched about 20 airfare search engines/consolidators like orbitz, mobissimo etc., and also about 15 of the major airlines themselves.
So what did I find out?
You would think that they all should come up with the same fares. In some cases yes, but in most cases no. The craziest thing I found was that I could find cheap fares on Orbitz for an American Airlines flight - but when I went to American's website, the exact same flight was more expensive(sometimes by $150 or more - and yes, I did calculate in the taxes and yes the cheaper flight did have seats available for purchase). This does not make sense, but it happened for the Iceland Air flight as well. I also found a few "white label" consolidators fares to be the cheapest of them all. From what I understand, the airlines sell some of their seats on some flights to travel agents/consolidators, and if they don't list the particular airline(they call it a "white label" fare) you can save 10 -15%. The bottom line is that it pays to really shop around. In my opinion, here are the better sites I found: sidestep, mobissimo, itasoftware, onetravel, 1800flyeurope and airfare.
Here are the others that I used with less success: hotwire, travelocity, orbitz, expedia, kayak, airlineconsolidator, economytravel, cheapinternationalflights, whichbudget, lowestfare, bookingbuddy, affordabletravel, airvalues, cheapflights, airgorilla.
The individual airlines sites had the highest fares by far; I would start with the search engines first and only seach the airline sites after, just to double check. Have I left any great sites off my list?
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 01:06 PM

http://airfarewatchdog.com/

Incredibly helpful.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 01:23 PM

I just checked the dates you used:

For AA BOS-CDG non-stop, the fare is the same on aa.com or itasoftware or Orbitz (except for the $10 service fee). $784.90.

Sometimes, it can simply be timing. The fare may be there when you check one site, not there when you check the other one.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 01:24 PM
ira

Hi W,

Very good of you to search the fruits of your labor.

So, which did you choose?

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

I haven't booked yet, I'm waiting for my vacation request to clear. But I'm eyeing a consolidator fare of $1790 -all taxes included for 3 people(my daughter gets a 25% discount). I usually shoot for $500 or less per ticket, but with the fuel costs so high, this fare seems pretty good.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 01:49 PM

www.onetravel.com
www.itasoftware.com
www.mobissimo.com
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 02:42 PM

This spring when I was buying for our September trip, I found that Orbitz was the best of the search engines as well in some cases, and not so in others.

For example -- for an open jaw ticket -- DH and I flew out of Denver to London and home from Paris, we did better with Orbitz (and I checked ALL the big consolidators too).

But for the tickets I bought for my Mom & Aunt, going direct to one of the airlines proved cheaper, and Continental was the winner that time.

I do think sometimes it has nothing to do with anything except which way the wind is blowing one day to the next.

That's why it pays to watch tickets over time, use multiple sources, and strike when you're ready (and don't look back and check the prices again, just in case you didn't get THE best rate).

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 02:49 PM

I've been shopping similar dates (BOS-CDG 5/23-6/4). It makes your head spin!

Last year, I shopped and shopped. All of a sudden, $535 came up on Cheaptickets ($700 at Air France for same flights). Went right back up a day or two later. For weeks I was sure I was going to get an e-mail from CheapTickets about a pricing error. But, everything went fine.

I've had great luck with 1800FlyEurope now and again.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:29 PM

One thing you always have to remember is to clean the cookies out of your computer. Someone posted on this site that he would get different prices on the same site from his computer at work. He started cleaning out the cookies every time he searched and it make a difference. I tried it and he was correct. You can go to an airline website 5 times and get 5 different prices if you clean the cookies.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Ann,
I'll have to try and delete the cookies...those darn airlines!

DJK,
1800flyeurope has a nice nonstop for you on your dates for $631.26. Seems pretty good..although I imagine Iceland air is due for a cheap deal pretty soon..I checked seating on Iceland Air's flights for late May, and only a few seats are booked..
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<b>rkkwan's</b> message is very important. Airlines will update their fares daily, sometimes more often, depending on pace of sales, fuel hedging contracts, trend lines that only their internal models can detect...

So sometimes you'll see a fare on one site that's higher or lower than on others, but it's just because the non-airline sites haven't gone back to the &quot;global distribution system&quot; (GDS) or airline sites recently enough. I've sometimes seen prices on Expedia that look cheaper than on airline sites, but when you actually go to ticket, you get a message &quot;Your fare has changed,&quot; gotcha.

AA for example, will frequently list fares with Sabre that Travelocity (which is owned by Sabre) will offer before other sites even know about them. Orbitz and Expedia (both part of Cendant - Barry Diller) often get other airlines' fares first. Timing is everything.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Clean the cookies???
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:27 PM
LTR

I don't know if anyone else has tried them, but Flightcentre.us guarantees lowest fare on international flights. I have searched myself and got the lowest fare I could. Then I called them and after they searched and gave me a price, I gave them the flight info I found and they actually came in about 5% lower.

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:35 PM

I don't know if things have changed as I've not booked with Orbitz in a couple of times -- but fares that are available may not actually be available when you click on them.

I once though that I found a cheaper airfare on Orbitz than on AA. Within half an hour (I think), AA showed the lower fare. In fact, it was cheaper as Orbitz had a $10 booking fee (?).

So, as rkkwan said, it could be the timing. For JFK to CDG or LHR, I've usually booked directly with AA.

In my opinion Orbitz is great, but usually for open jaws.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:35 PM

&quot;in a couple of months&quot; -- sorry.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:02 PM

I didn't realize that cleaning out the cookies would change the prices. I have also been keeping an eye out for fares for Paris. We want to go in March and although I saw fares for $400 (LAX-CDG) with NWA on Expedia a few weeks ago I can't book right now because my husband is in the military and we can't ask for time off that far in advance (believe me, I was tempted to buy but we have had trips canceled in the past, I didn't want to take a chance).

Anyway, that same flight was about $200 more on the NWA site and I tried most of the other websites mentioned here for discounted tickets and none of them could beat that price.

I too have received the message of tickets no longer available or that they can process the request on expedia but I go back and click on it until they come up.

Since I can't buy them right now, I do save them under itineraries with the date and price just to compare later on how much they have gone up or down.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM

I just starated a thread on this same topic earlier tonight before I saw this one (title &quot;March airfares&quot. But basically what I've been finding this year is that the airfare search engines are NOT beating the airlines own sites. In searing for tickets for March for New York to Paris I'm finding AirFrance's site has the lowest and Orbitz comes very close but all the others are significantly higher. I just tried all the sites mentioned here that I had not already tried (I have a list of about 10 I've been searching for about a month now). Very strange because in the last few years the opposite has been true (airlines own sites usually much higher). I wonder what's going on. Also, prices are 25-50% higher than the last three or four years for the same route the same dates.

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Doble_Vergasser

Isabel,

I have seen a similar thing.
In 2002 our best price to Europe came thru a consolidator.
In 2005 our best price came direct (Delta).

I thought I had seen an old post where someone said Tuesdays and Wednesday at or just past midnight was a good time to find a few cheaper seats (day of week was supposed to be airline specific).

The clearing of cookies is an new idea.

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 06:36 PM

I posted this earlier at another link but it appears more appropriate here. Anybody else had this experience? It was happy surprise to me:
My wife and I go to Europe about once a year and often we are looking for a multi-segment ticket. For example, next summer our tickets will be three segments: Pittsburgh to Venice to London to Washington, DC.
Orbitz does multi-city and we have been happy with them in the past so I type in my itinerary and dates and hundreds of flight itineraries or trips come up arranged from lowest price to highest price. In the past, I’ve just chosen “select” for the itinerary I wanted if I was happy the price, dates, departure times etc.
Here is the tip. I don’t know if this is an Orbitz glitch or what but Orbitz might even have a lower price than the lowest it offers you on your first search. Rather than select the lowest price trip, select instead “Choose flight 1”, and after you do, all flights that include the flight you selected as flight 1 come up. Logically you would think that the trip price won’t be better than what you have already seen. Not always true. Amazingly, you may see a price lower for same itinerary that had been the lowest on your first search. When I did this, the price fell from about $1,100 to about $900 and we bought the $900 tickets.
I haven't found this to be the case on simple round trips.
Tuscanson
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM

Tuscanson - It's not uncommon for Orbitz to show that &quot;we have found a lower fare&quot; than it's previously displayed. Relatively rare for simply roundtrips, but if it's a complex itinerary - open-jaw, multi-segment, multi-carrier, etc.. - it does happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -