I pod Touch and other technology in UK

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used the ipod touch (8 GB) in the Uk where wi fi is available? Does it work?

If I bring and adapter will I be able to charge my cell phone, ipod touch, camera and GPS?? Do I have to worry about voltage? The packaging for the adapter says "Do not use with computers, TVs etc." Is that because there is no surge protector or is there a poblem just using an outlet adapter?

I have an unlocked phone. I am arriving in Glasgow and making my way to London via Wales. Is there a prepaid sim card that works in Scotland, Wales and England or do I have to buy a different sim card in each country. I will not be talking much on the phone. I just might confirm reservation etc. Since I have an ipod touch, I will get emails from home wherever there is free wifi.

Any sugestions would be appreciated.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 03:50 PM

First thing to do is to switch off the data function on your iPad, as charges will be exhorbitant. You can still connect using wifi hotspots.
You should be able to charge all your electronic devices, as chargers are all universal voltage (100-240V should be stamped on it). You will need a plug adaptor.
Just buy any UK SIM card in Scotland and it will work throughout UK. They usually cost nothing, provided you charge a minimum of £10 with your card (go to Carphone Warehouse stores). Where you have to pay (but without minimum top-up), they cost between £1 and £5.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 05:09 PM

The few places I tried my itouch in London worked fine. All i needed was a plug adapter to charge it.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 10:27 PM

No, don't use it, the locals will think it is magic and worship you as a god.

They still get electricity in bottles and the internet only works on clockwork

OK sorry I'll be serious now.

You can get sim cards everywhere - either free with a top up or for 80p-£1.

Although technically England, Wales and Scotland are separate countries for most purposes they can be thought of as one - the UK.

You will find free wifi in every McDonald's, most hotels and hostels and quite a few other places.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help!