Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I need your help in deciding where to stay for one week in France. January 1-7

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Paris December 30, 2005 where we stay for two nights. We viisted Paris many times, also Strasbourg, Normandy and Dordogne. We would like to stay in a warmer region where we won't need to wear heavy jackets, hats, gloves and winter boots. We like to concentrate on museums, local culture and history, walking/hiking. Any suggestions where should we go and the best (not the cheapest) way to get there from Paris? As to accommodations we like to stay in the country and not interested in any huge resorts.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:28 AM

France is only the size of Texas, so there aren't going to be extreme differences in temperature from one region of the country to another in January. That said, obviously the farther south you get, the warmer it's likely to be. I would take the TGV to Avignon and explore Provence. It won't be warm, but it won't be bone-chilling, either, in all likelihood.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:49 AM
ira

Hi pat,

You arrive Dec 30 and stay the nights of the 30 and 31 and then travel to somewhere on New Year's day?

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:49 AM
aggiemom

FYI, Pat - I've been tracking weather in Paris and Avignon for the past several weeks. We leave for there on the 17th.

For the last 1-2 weeks Avignon has been colder than Paris by about 5 to 12 degrees F. Not much of a difference, but it did surprise me a little.

mom

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:00 AM
epi

We were in Nice last year in February, and it snowed twice. That is unusual, but it was not balmy at any point. We did however have lots of sunshine and I didn't wear my gloves every day. In general, you might want to think about spending your time in cities so that you can be in museums if it is cold. As you well know, the best city to do that is Paris, but it sounds as if you don't want to stay there for the week. Nice has quite a few good museums and if the weather smiles on you, some beautiful areas to visit nearby. The fastest way to get to Nice is to fly from Paris. If you decide to go there, do a search on thsi forum for much good information. We rented an apartment so I can't suggest a hotel.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Niece and Avignon, both sound good so need to start reading and planning.

To Ira. Yes, we are going to stay in Paris December 30 and 31, then would like to leave New Year's Day. We do this EVERY year, traveling on New Year's day. We feel it it is the best day to be introduced to new places

To StCirq. You assured us that Provence is the place to go.

To aggiemom. I know how it is with the weather anywhere in the world. I should just say in my post that we would like to visit another part South of France

Epi, we love Paris and stay there each time we travel to Europe but we also like to see more than Paris. The last time visited Paris was October 2005. Yes, we just returned home

Thank you all for your suggestions and if you know about interesting places to stay please, please share this information with us. Rental apartment would be great but we have a rule not to stay in B&Bs.
Pat and Chris

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:55 AM

What's your budget for accommodations? Knowing that, I'm sure we can recommend lots of places in Provence.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

I would say 1000 euros for a week. Maybe a little more or if is less that's even better. Thanks
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

I would say 1000 euros for a week. Maybe a little more or if is less that even better. Thanks
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:11 PM
epi

Just an afterthought. We were planning to go to Provence last February, but were convinced by others that it is colder in Provence than the Cote d'Azur.
We enjoyed our apartment in Nice, but it was up very steep hill. If you are renting a car, or like to be mountain-climbers, I am happy to send you the info on the apartment. It was 750 euros for a week last year. However if I were going back, I would try to stay in the flat area. We love to walk, but the steepness of the hill reduced the number of times we wanted to go in and out.
We too love Paris and are heading back for a week this spring.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Epi, thank you for your additional information.

After taking all your posts under consideration we decided to spend one week in Morocco. Air France fly there and hopefully we will have a little warmer weather. Thank you all for helping us deciding.

We would like to spend a week or two in Provence but in the begining of July? Can we see blooming lavender in July?
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Yes to lavender in July

-e