Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I need train booking 101 for my trip to France, help please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive at CDG from the States at 6:55 AM, how long do I need to allow to get on a train? I've been reading about "Prem" tickets, what are they? I've read they are nonrefundable, is that advisable considering the erratic nature of air travel? I've also read about a senior card that gives you a discount on train travel, where do you get one of the cards?
Using the German website, I found a 9:58 departure that said from CDG, the10:10 departure said CDG RER, what's the difference?
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Well it depends. A train to where? Probably 2-3 hours. You will only use the SNCF site for tickets to other cities/towns in France. If you're arriving at CDG and are going just into Paris, you can use the RER (intercity rail system), not SNCF and can just go right there after landing and getting your stuff and moving on. Maybe an hour.

PREM tickets are nonrefundable, nonreimbursable tickets on the SNCF (French railway system) site. You buy them 3 months in advance of your travel dates to get good rates on long-distance travel in France. The SNCF does offer senior travel discounts, though I've never taken advantage of them. They have NOTHING to do with air travel - where did you get that idea? You are SO confused!

You need to get a good guidebook. The questions you are asking intimate that you don't have a good handle on anything train- or airline-related in Europe. Get a good guidebook, sit down, and READ. I know it's anachronistic in this day and age, but give it a shot. It will actually provide you with all the answers you seek and more.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 06:14 PM

Here are 2 handy sites for you:

http://www.seat61.com ... for all things trains

http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm ... for buying tickets for French trains
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 07:57 PM

I understand what you mean by nonrefundable train tickets and the erratic nature of air travel. You're afraid that if you buy the train tickets and your plane arrives late, you will have lost money on the nonrefundable tickets.

The first question is really which train? Are you arriving at CDG and then wanting to get into Paris central or are you traveling immediately to another city?

The other questions are: how much train travel will your trip involve? How many countries will you be visiting? How long is your trip to Europe?

There are all kinds of train tickets/passes. We can better answer your question if we had a bit more information, because there are so many variables.

BTW, which German website did you use?
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 12:15 AM

You should use the French railways English-lnaguage website, www.tgv-europe.com (select 'Antarctic' if you're from the USA to avoid being bumped to Rail Europe with higher prices and fees, watch out for and read any pop-ups carefully to 'Continue to tgv-europe.com')

Prems could be just 25 euros to your destination, flexible could be 120 euros. On that basis, I'd book a Prems with a few hours at the airport to be on the safe side, with zero stress. On the other hand, if prems was 60 euros and full-price 80 euros, I might choose to travel sooner, with a flexible ticket.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 05:27 AM

Oops. RER = Paris regional trains, i.e. commuter, including CdG into the city. Not "intercity"; more like intracity.
Senior discounts on individual tickets show up on the SNCF orders page. Remember, with the TGV trains (trains at great speed) you need a seat reservation as well as a ticket. That's done on the orders page too. On some of the routes you can print out your ticket at home. Others you pick up at any station upon arrival. Don't worry about specifying a country where you do not actually live.
You have gleaned a reply from the man in seat 61 himself so you should absolutely study his site which is packed with information. Also you can look at www.parisbytrain.com which will lead you step-by-step -- literally, including photos -- through major train stations.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 05:36 AM

Pawleys - is this your only train travel in France - if doing several trips then check out the France Railpass, especically if going first class, which after riding umpteen French trains I adamantly recommend to the traveler on the trip of a lifetime - cheapest is not always the best - the pass can be used on any train and you can decide which trains to take once there.

For current pass prices check out Man in Seat 61's who posts above commercial site www.seat61.com's link to RailEurope and if a pass is in the works buy thru the link and give Man some well deserved commission. But you would have to be taking more than a few trains though at full fare just a few rides could make the multi-day pass pay off. Other sites with great info on French trains besides www.seat61.com are www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

there are some problems getting pass holder reservations on a very few lines like to Avignon so check www.seat61.com for any advice on booking those ahead, again thru RailEurope on the link on his site when ordering your pass. Most TGV lines are not problems and IME you can readily book them anytime in France - but trains from the airport and those to Avignon, Nice, etc can have no railpass seats available as they are issued in strict allotments on those trains.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 05:36 AM

To avoid unnecessary speculation, you need to tell us where you want to travel by train and your CDG date of arrival.

PREM fares can be as low as 25€ when purchased up to 3 months in advance but iDTGV fares start at 19€ when purchased up to 4 to 5 months in advance (the exact date varies in accordance with schedule releases).

Senior Fares require your purchasing an annual discount card, hardly worth the cost unless you travel often.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 06:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
bookmarking
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 12:05 PM

There is a senior discount I believe on a France Railpass however, making it more viable perhaps - not sure but most of those passes do have a rate for 60 and overs.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your replies. Yes I do have a pile of guide books and have been reading for months; but, haven't found the practical info you are providing. I'll check out the websites right after Valentines.
Sorry I didn't mention we'll be arriving at 6:55 AM on May 4th from the states and will train to Avignon. ( The only other train trip we will take will be from Avignon to Tours or the station near there. It sounds like the Avignon route will be the most crowded. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 02:42 PM

If you want to take a chance that your flight arrives on time, you can purchase today tickets from CDG to Avignon, departing at 8h49 and costing only 40€ in second class, 64€ in first class. These tickets are printed by you on your computer precluding any problems waiting in line at a CDG service window. They are also non refundable, non transferable.

Something might be going on that week as many of the trains are already nearly sold out as only full fare (108€) tickets remain on most trains.

www.voyages-sncf.com (in French only)
www.tgv-europe.com (do not indicate that you are from the USA or you will be bumped to Raileurope)
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 10:48 AM

y nearly sold out as only full fare (108€) tickets remain on most trains.> That is about $160 and if paying that strongly consider the France Railpass which gives you, Saverpass, 3 days of unlimited rail travel over a month period for $198, 2nd class or just $38 more for two additional days and if traveling more the extra days are only $31 a day so if paying 108 euro for one trip strongly look at the pass.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 12:14 PM

note however that with a pass it may be impossible to get a passholder fare on the train from CDG so it is imperative you book a seat when you buy your pass.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 12:29 PM

It's very hard to say how much time you have to allot for transiting from plane to train.

At the moment, the three countries that are most likely to have strike issues are France, Italy and Greece (not necessarily in that order).

If you really want to feel secure, why not book a train with sufficient hours between flight arrival and train departure? Five hours? Seven hours?

If you want to have ultimate security, then look into PalenQ's pass suggestion, which will allow you to get on any train at any time. It may not be the cheapest but it will give you peace of mind for not missing the train.

Also, whether single ticket or pass, book a seat reservation.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Warning! The 08:49 TGV to which Sarastro refers departs from Gare de Lyon in Paris, not from CDG. You cannot get from CDG to Paris in time to catch it.

There is a direct TGV from CDG to Avignon that departs at 08:30, but I don't think that's enough connection time, even if your plane arrives on time.

The next direct CDG-Avignon TGV departs at 09:58 and arrives at 13:08. Prem's fare tickets are gone, but you still can get Loisir Reduit fare tickets for €88.00.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 03:59 AM

And after being jet lagged why not just stay in Paris the first night and then leisurely go to the Gare de Lyon and hop on a train with a PREM ticket - hourly trains or so so lots of chances to nab a PREM.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 08:35 AM

If you cannot get a direct train from CDG to Avignon TGV see if you can book a TGV from CDG to Lyon and then you can proceed by cheap region train to Avignon-Centre train station, right inside the old town - Avignon-TGV station is a few miles outside of town.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Note that there have been some serious work slow downs at CDG of late - customs officers and airport workers in disputes over wages, jobs, etc. - and that old law that says though it is unusual it will happen when it hurts you the worst.