Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I need to get to Madrid, but must schedule a stopover in either London or Paris. Advice?

I need to get to Madrid, but must schedule a stopover in either London or Paris. Advice?

Dec 6th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Sue

I have to be in Madrid by January 6th (beginning of language school.) Because of my "between jobs" status, I need to use a frequent flier ticket. Also, because I did not know that I would have this new "between jobs" status, I was unable plan enough in advance to secure a flight directly into Madrid. My options are to fly into either London/Gatwick or Paris/CDG on December 29th and just figure out how to get to Madrid in the ensuing week. It sounds like fun to me.

Either are agreeable options to me, but I would need to find a way to get from either to Madrid fairly efficiently. (I have been to Paris twice, but never to London. All things being equal, I'd probably rather go thru London for that reason.)

Question: How would one cheaply/efficiently get from both London and Paris to Madrid. The travel agent priced flights at about $500 each, which I really can't afford. Chunnel? Train? Car rental?

Would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you in advance!

Dec 6th, 2001, 11:24 AM
ron

Check out easyjet.com You should be able to get a one way ticket from London Luton to Madrid for about £50.

Dec 6th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Christina

Why are you using that travel agent? Unless there is something unusual about your needs not mentioned here, you can just go into Travelocity and find std 1-way flights between London and Madrid for about $160 on British Midland and Air Europa in first week in January (like 1/3, I just did it). There seem to always be plenty of cheap flights between London and major Eur. cities, I'd choose it.

Dec 6th, 2001, 12:16 PM
coco

Sue,
I agree with above replies that London would have many more flights--and especially budget flights--than Paris. EasyJet, RyanAir and other carriers have some ridiculously low fares. Since you will want to spend a few days in town, won't matter that which airport you have to leave from (transfering can be a little tense if trying to get straight through.) Happy travelling!

Dec 6th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Maribel

Agree with Ron, Coco, Christina. London-Madrid fares may well be cheaper than Paris-Madrid (but check Air Europa for both). Easy Jet from Luton has consistently cheap flights to Madrid.
Check with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets. Don't think your travel agent has done any good investigating for you. I'm sure you can find a bargain fare on Air Europa, British Midland, Easy Jet. Don't think Ryan Air has flights into Madrid.

Dec 6th, 2001, 01:01 PM
elvira

two cents here: if you can't find a flight from London, and end up taking the train, the cost of the Eurostar will be expensive compared to flying directly into Paris and starting your train travel there.

Try www.europebyair.com for cheap fares. Also, check other cities - Manchester or Birmingham, for example, for outbound flights to Madrid.

Dec 7th, 2001, 04:05 AM
Brianh

Easyjet are offering Madrid flights from Luton for £12.00 one way in January.