Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I need to find an online or NY area source where i can buy the bacon like they have in Ireland, called rashers, i believe?

I need to find an online or NY area source where i can buy the bacon like they have in Ireland, called rashers, i believe?

Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:33 PM
Edie

also, has anyone had something called Tiffen Cake? it was the flavor of the cake at the wedding i attended in Dublin. It's a chocolate cake, but with a denser texture and little cookie-ish type things in the cake. it was divine, and i would love a recipe.

thanks!!!

Mar 3rd, 2001, 04:56 AM
Mariarosa

Have you tried the usual suspects - Fairway, Balducci's, Cittarella, Grace's, Gourmet Garage, and Dean and Deluca? Even if they don't sell it, if you ask the managers hs/she might be able to point you in the right direction.

Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:02 AM
Cathy

Edie,
Never heard of Tiffen Cake - are you sure that is the correct spelling ? Would it be Chiffon Cake by any chance ? If so then I have a receipe that I will email you (up to my eyes at the moment but if you want it post here). Generally the wedding cakes are made by the mother of the bride - if you know the bride then ask her for the receipe.

Cathy

PS Check your local Irish pub for their suppliers of Irish rashers,

Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:17 AM
edie

as far as the bacon, i thought that Sutton Place gourmet might have it. that's a big gourmet emporium that carries lines from Balducci's and from Hay Day.

cathy, the MOB definitely didn't make this cake. the bride said they usually have fruitcake for weddings, but the American Groom put his foot down and they opted for this other cake. another person i asked in dublin said that it's usually made at a bakery for christenings, communions, weddings. it wasn't at all similar to a chiffon cake, it was really really dense and chocolatey.
i might try ethnicgrocer.com or epicurious.

Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:26 AM
Milo

Here is a website for ordering all Irish products in the USA. They are based in NYC so you might even be able to go directly there.

<http://www.traditionalirishfoods.com...ome_frame.htm>

Mar 3rd, 2001, 11:33 AM
Mike

I think you'll find the spelling is TIFFIN, if that helps.

Just had a quick look on Google - several UK companies selling it, but didn't see any in USA.

Saw a recipe at http://www.emazing.com/archives/britcook/2000-07-13

Mar 5th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Ess

There is an Irish and Scottish enclave in Kearney, NJ (near Newark) where we used to go for Irish bacon and sausages at the meat markets there. Kearney had little cafe-type restaurants there, too, where you could get fish'n'chips lunch, and they sold Irish souvenirs. You may be able to take the path train there, but we always drove (not me, I'm an awful driver!). If you're located anywhere near that area, I'd check it out.

Mar 5th, 2001, 07:48 AM
sghosh

Is Myers of Keswick still in business? It used to be on the west side of Manhattan, kind of between the Village and Chelsea...I don't recall the address, I always walked until I found it. If they are, I'd suggest you call them and ask if they have the things you want. They specialized in British foods, including bangers, various pies, and all sorts of packaged goods. It might be worth a try.

Mar 5th, 2001, 08:16 AM
edie

I really appreciate the help!!! i printed out the recipe from the link below and when i went to traditionalirishfoods.com, they had the ingredients for sale that were unfamiliar to me. i'll be placing an order soon...i'll let you know if the cake turns out.

Edie

Mar 5th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Caitlin

Myers of Keswick is on Hudson St. and might have Irish bacon (though strictly speaking, it's a British shop). In Sunnyside and Woodside, Queens, there are many Irish immigrants, and the butcher shops and delis there should have Irish bacon.