Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I need suggestion on where to stay in Port Alcudia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-need-suggestion-on-where-to-stay-in-port-alcudia-1104426/)

Saraks62 May 5th, 2016 06:13 AM

I need suggestion on where to stay in Port Alcudia

My husband and I are planning a trip to Alcudia for early September. Does anyone have suggestion on hotels? we like to be close to nightlife, some place in busy a busy street also close to beach.

Thanks

Bedar May 5th, 2016 07:34 AM

Google says that Alcudia, Mallorca, is a "family resort". Not a place we'd go.

Rubicund May 5th, 2016 08:05 AM

Alcuin is a pleasant enough spot but as Bear says, it's a more family orientated place. I love that end of the island but would probably choose Pollenca or Puerto Pollenca as a busier more vibrant spot.

Without knowing your budget it's a bit difficult to recommend and if a local beach isn't a must, then try the Hotel Son Sant Jordan in Pollenca. Love the place.

Rubicund May 5th, 2016 08:06 AM

Flipping autocorrect! Alcudia and Bedar!

BritishCaicos May 5th, 2016 08:50 AM

I can't think that either of the above have been to Alcudia.

The resort is split into three.

The old walled town, the area around the marina and the large linear straight which follows the coast road around the bay from the marina to C'an Picafort.

The last area would be your best choice. There's many middle market chain hotels, of which Melia and NH are good choices. Many are on the beach which is really high quality but it can be windy. Many of the hotels have nightlife and the developed area is busy.

It's not our scene but it is really solid lower middle market, safe and serves its market well.

Early September is a perfect time to go as the weather is still reliable and the kids have returned to school.

Saraks62 May 5th, 2016 10:09 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking for both beautiful beach as well as nightlife, do you think Pollenca provides more of this rather than Alcudia?

BritishCaicos May 5th, 2016 10:50 AM

Be sure about the towns.

Pollensa is 10km inland.

Puerto Pollensa has a good Marina and a very average beach.

I'd say the best area is that to NE of Alcudia Marina.

The hotels are definitely what you are seeking they are on the beach.

BritishCaicos May 5th, 2016 10:53 AM

Sorry that should have been directly south of the marina.

annhig May 5th, 2016 12:50 PM

many years ago, when our kids were the sort of age that we were interested in beach holidays, we too stayed in Puerto Alcudia, and though the memory is hazy, I think that we may have stayed here:

http://www.botelalcudiamar.es

wherever it was it was a little way out of the town, by its own beach and walkable to a small rocky area where there was a restaurant.

I'm not sure that I'd want to stay there as an adult couple when some of the other places mentioned above might appeal more, but for a family it was ideal.

Rubicund May 6th, 2016 12:55 AM

Mr Caicos seems to have placed Pollenca 4kms further inland than it actually is. It's 6km and a ten minute drive (if that) into the Port. The walled area of Alcudia is Ok but nothing remarkable, a half hour sees it. The Marina is not as nice an area as Porto Pollenca and the area with hotels is not attractive with anything that is going on in the evening, (not much IME) as BC says, is in the hotels.

Pollenca's port has a much better choice of restaurants, shops etc and the marina is lovely, again with an excellent fish restaurant. There are several little squares and a main square that come alive at night and it's delightful to stroll around. I've been to the island maybe 15 or 20 times over the last 10 or 12 years and gravitated to staying in Pollenca or it's port, more latterly in Pollenca itself. I honestly believe that it's the best town on the island.

Saraks62 May 6th, 2016 06:14 AM

Thanks so much for all the great advise.

Rubicund, is the beach in Pollenca as nice as Alcudia's beach? also, is it possible to get semi private boat tours from port Pollenca?

Rubicund May 7th, 2016 01:36 AM

The beach in Porto Pollenca is sandy and stretches to the south of the port and IIRC is longer than Alcudia's version. I believe that there are boat tours from the marina, but I'm not sure if they have private charters available.