Reload this Page >

I need some help traveling from Italy to Switzerland

Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We are planning a trip to Italy & Switzerland this June with our daughter who will be 18mths then.

We fly into Milan and out of Zurich 2 weeks later - we plan a short 3 - 4 night stay near Asti & then up the lakes and then onto Interlakken where we will meet friends.

Due to luggage (travel cot buggy etc etc) and not wanting to move on too much we hope to stay 3 -4 nights at the lakes, I plan to rent a car in Italy and then catch a train to Interlakken it is just I am unsure of where to go in the lakes - it all sounds wonderful and whether we can catch a train directly from the lakes to interlaken or do we have to go back to Milan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 11:15 AM

You can get the train in either Lugano or in the city of Como. May be the same train, just further up the line. If you neeed to drop the car in Italy---and you will--then Como is your best shot. Howeever, you say "the lakes" and that is not definitive. If you choose Lago Maggiore then the story changes. Try to be precise.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM
ira

HI McG,

We very much liked Lake Orta. You will want a car.

Old Feb 13th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply the reason for not being precise is I am unsure of where to go in the lakes, whether to go to Como or Maggiore this is really my dilemma so any assistance in making this decision would be most appreciated.

I was wondering if Maggiore was better due to being more direct for Switzerland but then if we do that do we need to leave the car in Milan and if so is it ok not having a car around the lake or would it be better to keep the car and go to Como and leave the car there? It seems very difficult to decide what is the best to do.

I too have read about Orta and it sounds beautiful. Help!
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 05:51 AM

That is a tough call that only you can make. This may help:

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripw...c-00f0-c599?lb
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 01:43 PM

Hello,
I'm trying to plan a trip that starts in Milan, takes me to the lakes and into Switzerland and then down to Cinque Terre and further south. I would love to hear what you have decided to do on your lakes & switzerland visit. I would like to go from the Lakes and take a boat or train trip into Switzerland. Thanks for your help.