Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I need info on Oxford and Cambridge, England. Anyone got some?

Oct 10th, 1997, 08:23 AM
Whitney Sirois

I need help. I need to know what to do for a few days in Cambrige and in Oxford. I would like it to be preferrably inexpensive. If anyone has info. You can e-mail me directly or write me as much as you know on this page. Thank-you very much.

Oct 10th, 1997, 10:13 AM
sgorces

In Oxford, you really must tour the Cotswolds. Best to do by rental car (which are pretty reasonable in UK) or could be done with some trouble and limitations by transit. Definitely take in the Blenheim Palace at Woodstock, a short distance from OX. Do visit a couple Cotswold towns, my favorite is Chipping Campden, browse the antique stores, enjoy the fine cafes, walk amoung the wonderful thatch roofed homes. Also consider Stow on the Wold, the Slaughters, Chipping Norton. Just take a wonderful country walk on the many public paths. Dress in layers and wear waterproof boots and jackets. Have fun! (Sorry, I didn't get to Cambridge but I understand it's very nice).

Oct 10th, 1997, 12:21 PM
Ronald

Oxford: the gardens are all marvelous and you should make a special effort to see them: Worcester college's can be entered by going into the quadrangle and taking the small door at the left. Each has its own character. Likewise the schools represent 800 years of changing architectural styles and are each small museums especially the chapels. Keble college is not only a sunken quadrangle but also a Victorian style building. Christ Church was built by Cardinal Wolsey and has the best small cathedral in England. The museums of History of Science, Ashmolean, Natural History are each significant in a different way. The Bodlean library is great inside especially the older collections. Cambridge has the great Kings chapel, Trinity college also beautiful. Try to visit Maddingly US military cemetary outside of Cambridge - very moving display of American airmen who died in WWII - Glenn Miller's grave is there although he was lost at sea. The architecture of both places are their chief attractions. Go to the river in Oxford and have dinner and go punting. Blackstones bookstore is very large and comprehensive. The Radcliff Camera is also different.

Oct 10th, 1997, 12:23 PM
Ben Haines

I'll be glad to advise. What do you like ? When are you there ? How old are you ? Have you any academic interests ? What are your preferences in music, arts, buildings, theatre ? If you'll reply, I'll see what I have to say.

Ben Haines

Message: I need help. I need to know what to do for a few days in Cambrige and in Oxford. I would like it to be preferrably inexpensive. If anyone has info. You can e-mail me directly or write me as much as you know on this page. Thank-you very much.

Oct 10th, 1997, 07:26 PM
Sam

Oxford is amazing! I know there is a B and B by the bus station, near Gloucester Green. If you want a nice stroll, there is a walk called the Thames Path. It will lead you to a great historic pub called the Trout. Ask anyone about it; they should know. Try punting on the rivers Thames and Cherwell. Have a great time!

Oct 14th, 1997, 05:09 AM
maria maddalena-richey

I've spent alot of time in Cambridge - I have family there so I havent had the need for a hotel but as for food - try Don Pasquale for ice cream, coffee, pizza. Also try La Margherita. Both are owned by the same Italian family and are family run. UM UM Good. Cambridge has more to offer in terms of "action" than Oxford where I also have family. I love Cambridge but am a little bored by Oxford. The Cotswolds is a must see/do - preferrably by bike.