Reload this Page >

I need directions for Rome subway!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Chris

I need directions how to get from the area near the Colosseum where my hotel is to the Santa Maria Della Concezione church on Via Veneto. Are there subway stops near the Colosseum? How would I transfer and where would I get off to be near the church?<BR>Are the cabs expensive if I cab over there?<BR>Worried about how I will get around in the few free days I have on my tour. Help!!<BR>

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Maurice

The colloseum subway stop is across the street from the collosseum.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Maurice

according to my map. Santa Maria della Concezione is right next to Barberini stop. <BR>Of course, you have to change at termini.<BR>I have always found that the secret to using foreign subways/metro is to be aware of the name of the last stop of for the train you want to catch.<BR>So, assuming the end-points haven't changed (extensions to the lines are openning now or soon)...<BR>Get on line B (Blue line) at Colloseo, going to Tiburtina. Laurentina is wrong way. Get off at Termini (2 stops), and transfer to A, the Red line. The direction to Barberini (2 stops) is toward Ottaviano, but the new terminus may be Baldo degli Ubaldi.<BR>Reverse this to return.<BR><BR>I read somewhere the C line (Orange?) is opening soon, crossing the blue line at Colloseo and curving west to the Vatican, and then running into the Red line at Ottaviano. Don't take the orange line...<BR>Rome metro is pretty simple and runs pretty often. The only problem we had was finding the exit at the Spanish Steps. We must've done half a mile in the tunnels...<BR>If you can read a map and have a sense of adventure, buy a good map of Rome and a weekly bus/metro pass and have fun!<BR>A warning - multi-use tickets (daily or weekly) need to be validated only once. The machine stamps a date and time. Someone told me - don't stamp them more than once, or you end up with an unreadable smear on the ticket. All the transit people want is the starting time for your ticket, so they can tell if its still valid.<BR><BR>Oh, yeah - don't leave the pass in your hotel room.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:24 AM
Chris

Maurice - Thank you SO MUCH for your detailed directions! This will make the trip over there doable for us.....we are a bit intimidated crossing the city with no Italian language skills. Thanks again for taking the time!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Maurice

Sorry - let me reclarify myself. I checked the map.<BR>The B (Blue) train from Colloseo to Termini should be the one ending at "Rebibba". The wrong direction or return is "Laurentina".<BR>The A (Red) train from Termini to Barberini is the one ending at "Battistini". The return direction ends at "Anagnina".<BR>This coincides with my memories from last year.<BR><BR>If you're curious about subways, try MetroPlanet (www.metropla.net - clever, eh?). Lists trains from around the world.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Michelle

Topping for Jennie

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Jim

I don't know if you have any physical limitations, but it is an excellent walk from the Coloseum area to the Concezione church (the Capuchin Crypts). Did the same walk in early June, hitting the Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps, more or less along the way. It is a good walk (maybe an hour or less) but countless things to see along the way. IMHO, you would spend more time negotiating the subway than you would save. If time is critical, take a taxi, cheap and easy to find. Wouldn't expect a taxi to cost more than 10 EURO, unless it's rush hour.