Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   i need advice on airline tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-need-advice-on-airline-tickets-281227/)

otis Dec 24th, 2002 09:15 AM

i need advice on airline tickets

hey friends-<BR>i want to buy two tickets from indianapolis<BR>to frankfurt or amsterdam (whichever is cheaper) leaving feb 10th (i'm flexible)...<BR>here is the rub....i want to stay for a month<BR>but my girlfriend will fly back to indy after<BR>two weeks ...i will be joined by a friend of mine who will fly in (from indy to fra or amsterdam)on the same day that my girlfriend <BR>flys out....then at the end of the trip my <BR>friend and i will fly home together <BR><BR>if this sounds confusing i apologize<BR><BR>when i research websites in an attempt<BR>to find airfares i can't figure out a way to enter my info....how do i buy the 3 tickets<BR>that i need and still get a good airfare?.....can i use priceline for this sort of purchase?...i would like to buy<BR>all 3 tickets from the same source at the<BR>same time<BR><BR>i should also add that i am the epitome<BR>of a bargain shopper :)...or a cheapo..<BR>...whichever ya like<BR><BR>thank ya kindly<BR>xoxoxo<BR>-otis

elaine Dec 24th, 2002 09:23 AM

Unless someone knows a better idea, I see this as three ticket transactions.<BR>Book your ticket, then book your girlfriend's so you can choose seats near each other. Then book for your friend (or have friend book on their own, with your return flight info in mind.)<BR><BR>I have not been a priceline customer but I believe that sometimes (always?) specific information on the flight details is withheld until the end (or perhaps I am thinking of a different consolidator) so if it is important for you and your girlfriend and later your friend to be on the same flight at the same time, you will want to have all details available.<BR><BR>If you go to expedia.com you can view flights by date and time, and in order of price. But then I advise booking directly through the airline so that you will be the airline's customer, and get whatever miles or points you are entitled to.

Jim Rosenberg Dec 24th, 2002 09:26 AM

I agree with elaine and I would approach it in exactly the same way.

otis Dec 24th, 2002 09:52 AM

thanks for the advice...it is <BR>helpful...i should say that i am <BR>looking for the lowest fare possible<BR>and i'm not interested in accumulating<BR>any frequent flyer miles....i'm wandering if there is another way for me to put this together besides calling<BR>an airline....i'm not very confident that a person gets the best price <BR>when making a cold call to the airlines<BR>....maybe i'm wrong....that's why i ask<BR><BR>should i consider a travel agent?...i've never tried working with<BR>an agent before....i have a preconceived perception that travel agents are for folks who operate in<BR>a higher tax bracket than myself :)<BR>...maybe not<BR>thanks for the love<BR>-otis

elaine Dec 24th, 2002 09:55 AM

otis<BR>the best services travel agents can provide are usually in finding the best air fares.<BR>Your own tax bracket has nothing to do with their service, or their commission, which is usually paid only by the airline.<BR><BR>But as I suggested, you can also do a little homework yourself at a site like expedia.com<BR>then take it to a travel agent and see if they can better the deal

otis Dec 24th, 2002 09:59 AM

thanks elaine....i'm gonna head<BR>out to the woodshed.....i truly <BR>apreciate your help<BR>-otis

Carolina Dec 24th, 2002 02:16 PM

Hi,<BR>I do this sort of booking through travelhub frequently.<BR>Firstly, approach it as 3 seperate bookings.<BR>Secondly, check availability for all of the bookings before making any reservations.<BR>Make a note of flight numbers and times before completing reservations so that you can make sure you are on the same flight.<BR>Once flights are all booked, phone the airline with the details of the bookings, explain the situation and let them give you seat assignments over the phone.<BR>One more thing, the credit card that you use has to be in the name of the passenger in most cases. Make sure you have payment details ready for each booking.<BR>Good luck