Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I need a phone in Europe - not Voicestream.

Jun 24th, 2002, 05:47 PM
sam

The last 2 times I have traveled to Europe I have taken a phone with me - I rented from Voicestream both times. I loved the price $49.00 for 2 weeks and the delivery and pick up couldn't have been easier, but ... The first time the phone had not been properly set and it took almost $150.00 in ATT calls to properly set it - after that it worked like a charm. The 2nd time (I thought I couldn't have trouble twice in a row) the Number assigned to me was also assigned to someone else...they made hundreds of dollars worth of calls and they were all charged to my master card. It took hours and hours of calling to straighten it all out.
So does anyone know of a phone service that I might be able to work with?
Thanks
Sam

Jun 25th, 2002, 05:17 AM
kate

Depending on where you go in Europe, you may consider buying a "pay-as-you-go" mobile, which may work out a similar price to hiring one.

Where in Europe are you going?

Jun 25th, 2002, 12:44 PM
sam

Kate, We will be flying into Paris, then on to Nice.
Where do you purchase a pay as you go system?
Thanks Sam

Jun 25th, 2002, 01:03 PM
not sam

I am not sure where you get a pay as you go system, but a regular poster here, Beth Anderson, had a thread here a month or so ago, about giving away a pay as you go card for France to anyone that wanted it.

if she still has it, you should email her.

Jun 25th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Mike

Verizon recommended PHI Leasing for satelite phones or cell phones run from the GMS format. The satelite phones must have direct access, e.g. outside or in a car access to the skies for reception. The GMS format is accessible indoors using a Nokia cell phone. The cost for 30 days is $89 plus roaming and access charges. According to a representative, incoming calls from the US cost about $.50 per minute. Calls within Eurpe ranged from $1.50 to $2.00 per minute because roaming charges originate in Great Britain. The cell phone, including charger, is mailed via UPS ($15 round trip charges). If interested, call PHI Leasing, Inc. 1-877-977-6303. Their website is phileasing.com. Good luck!

Jun 25th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Kay

Just got back from Italy, France and Spain and our Nextel i2000 working everywhere...no problem... we already had an account so we didn't even have to set a special account up for Europe. It was very convenient.

Jun 25th, 2002, 07:48 PM
nanette

Kay,

How much were your charges for using your nextel? We're trying to make a decision on what to do for the same countries you were in.

Thanks!
Nanette