Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm trying to plan the perfect romantic one day trip to Paris-on a budget!! *Help*!

Search

I'm trying to plan the perfect romantic one day trip to Paris-on a budget!! *Help*!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
It is my girlfriend's and my 3 year anniversary this July and I am trying extremely hard to plan a one day trip that will be beautiful.
We are both students so finding it almost impossible to fund.
The basic wish list/plan is to arrive in Paris in the morning via Eurostar from London.
I want to take her to the top of the tower (possibly cheesy but we're British-we have to do it!)
Walk down the Seine and have a evening picnic, watching the lights of the Trocadero.
And possible go on some sort of cruise or something else.
This sounds amazing, however I have no idea what these things actually are, I've just gathered them from reviews.
Are the places near each other and the most important part is the fountain trocadero.
Are there really lights and are they on every day or just weekends? Are we able to sit there with wine and cheese?
Any advice will be brilliant.
Thank you so much xxx
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 02:34 PM

You can absolutely go to the top of the Eiffel. Note: if it is not a pretty and sunny day, it might be a let-down on the 3rd level. You can see the buildings better from the 2nd level.

Take the Seine cruise at the foot of the Eiffel, well at the quai at the foot of the Eiffel - Bateaux Parisiens. Takes about an hour and returns to the same place.

Find some shops or the grocer and buy your picnic items. Cross the Seine on the bridge between the Eiffel and Place Trocadero. Note: the fountains don't run all the time, and I don't know of a 'schedule'. But the view from Trocadero to the Eiffel is very nice regardless.

There is a little park area around the steps leading up to Trocadero - you could have your picnic along there. We sat on the grass under a tree once, no one said to move along. There are also benches if you need one.

An alternative is, after the Seine cruise, get your picnic and go down the river to the Pont des Arts and have the picnic. This is perhaps more popular in the evenings and nice weather.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Leave plenty of time in your schedule to wait in line for tickets to the Eiffel Tower and then to wait in line to go up in the tower.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 03:43 PM

Just want to keep an eye on this one for me, too!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your responses, especially you Travelnut, you seem to know Paris like it's your second home!
I had a feeling about the lights
One more question: if a special question was to be asked, would you recommend actually on the tower (sounds good to tell friends he he) or at the picnic looking up at the lit tower (I think it lights up at night).
Again, thank you-you big romantics! xx
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:00 AM

I'm not sure why you're sad about the 'lights'.. ? maybe you meant the fountains..?
It might feel crowded, windy or noisy while *on* the Tower, so you might want to pose your special question on the ground, nice grassy/landscaped area, wine in hand, Tower looming over you. It will be able to feel a little more private that way.
p.s. instead of the picnic across the river from the tower, it's very nice to have one much closer, almost under the tower, on the Champ de Mars (long green park running from Eiffel to Ecole Militaire).
See these photo examples:

http://www.parisdujour.com/images/20...hampdemars.jpg

http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...5/22683582.jpg
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

What brilliant pictures, thank you. I can't believe we are able to sit that close!
Great news I am now going for 3 days and 2 night, I am SO excited and can now plan a perfectly lovely trip (with the help of you Parisian experts).
Thanks again to all of you xx
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

There are so many incredible spots in Paris-I can't actually believe it.
I'll give plenty of time to que for the tower.
I have heard some great things about an apple restaurant that is within our budget??
Unsure about a cruise: a plain one or dinner cruise.
Then we are going to go to a club called Le Pulp, apparently we'll like it there.
I'll keep checking in daily.
Thanks again xxx