Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm trying to pack light but can I pack for a 2 week golf trip to Ireland in a 22" suitcase

I'm trying to pack light but can I pack for a 2 week golf trip to Ireland in a 22" suitcase

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 26" now which is pretty big...I just bought a 24" which doesn't seem THAT much smaller. We will really be tight for space because there will be 4 of us with golf clubs & luggage in a mini-van.

Does anyone have any experience with this???
I'm usually pretty good with packing lightly but is a 22" too small?? I'm also have my golf bag to pack some things in.

Comments please....
Thanks
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:14 PM

oy vey. If you wear the same pair of shoes every day and are relgious about rinsing out clothes and night, sure. are you a guy? less cosmetics. you are a brave man!!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Can you schedule a laundry stop in between the rounds of golf?
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:21 PM

I don't think the golf clubs will fit. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Since your golf shoes will fit in you golf bag, sure you can. But in my experience - everyone I have taken on golfing holidays have ended up needing an extra bag for all the golf shirts/hats/towels they buy at most every course played.

So you can either pack VERY light (a 21 incher half full or less) and plan on supplementing the golf attire with new stuff, OR, take an empty satchel in your small suitcase to carry all the loot home.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

nope...I'm a gal!

This is sounding like a "no" to me. I guess I'll keep the 24".
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:31 PM

I certainly don't think it is a "no". With your golf shoes and rain gear in the golf bag, you are really no different than those of us who regularly do 2, 3 or 4 week trips w/ just a 21 inch rollie bag (and some use even smaller bags).

I have taken folks on several golf trips and the golf bags (especially w/ the hard sided travel covers) take up a lot of space. Pack as light as you can - it will help a lot.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:41 PM

We go to Europe for six weeks with a carryon and a bookbag-sized backpack each. Take two weeks worth of undies and you won't even have to do a wash. You can probably cram that into the golf bag.

You can take a small foldup bag to check through with dirty clothes and you'll even have room for souvenirs.

Have fun.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Not personally, but I HAVE packed for the hubby's golf trip on a few occasions, after he gives up in despair and weeps pathetically.

1. Take a soft bag, not a case - you can stuff more in and stuff it in more places
2. Buy the space-saver bags (I got mine from the shopping network) - they are incredible! I used one for his golf pants, one for golf shirts, one for t-shirts ... etc. It makes unpacking really easy
3. Put your golf shoes/running shoes/waterproof mac and any bulky items in the golf bag
4. Stuff a light, cheap gym bag in your golf bag to bring home the dirties and gifts
5. Buy that Gortex full body suit stuff - folds up well but protects your cloths
6. Don't be tempted to leave a pair of pants behind to save space - you will be drenched at least every second day on the course
7. Don't both with bring those three large modern classics you ahve always wanted to read - you'll be either swinging a club or lowering a pint talking to buddies about your golf swing.
8. Take a small carry-on with your toiletries, spare socks, underware, t-shirt
9. If you are staying anywhere for more than one night, dump all your laundry on them and ask for them back folded

Have a lovey trip. My husband is doing the same think in March/April

Regards .. Ger
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I'm female and can do 2-3 weeks traveling Europe in a 22" rolling suitcase... BUT don't know a thing about golf!!! Good luck ;-)
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

What great advice...thanks so much.
I'm going to re-think that 22" and see if I can make it work.

I'll do a packing trial run to see how it all fits.
Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 05:41 PM

While I?ve never been on a golfing vacation in Ireland, when I do travel there I never travel with a suitcase bigger than 22". I took a big suitcase to Ireland the first time and learned my lesson! Lugging it all over was awful. I also take a small tote bag. The tote can be "stuffed" anywhere in the van/car, and is much better in my experience that one huge bag. I've never wished I had packed more clothes!

Sounds like great trip. Have fun!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:19 PM

From experience, here are some things to consider on your golf trip. You may want to consider a larger van. European vehicles are much smaller, especially when 4 sets of golf clubs are involved. And be sure to have soft travel covers (hard ones take up too much room). A 6 passenger van will just barely be big enough for your purposes. And be sure to get a written confirmation that the van you select will be awaiting you. (I flew into Dublin to find out my rental company had flown the coop!). Luckily, another agency had a van--or we would have been up a tree.

Regarding clothes, you won't be sweating, so you can alternate 3-4 sets of shirts and pants. Corduroys are great for Irish golf. And dark colors won't show stains like light ones do.

E-mail me at [email protected] if I can be of any help.

Regards,

Jinx Hoover
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Four guys
Four small suitcases
Minivan
Hot July week

Might be ok if you omit the anti-perspirant
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Actually, it's 2 couples but we'll still bring deodorant!