I'm stumped! Need help w/bargain hotel with AC in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a quaint hotel with real charm AND AC. We're needing two rooms, one for two adults and another triple for two adults and their 13 y/o daughter. This is for one night for a long layover. We're open to location, but obviously due to our short stay we want to stay in the heart of things and be close to either the Eiffel Tower or Notre Dame. So, I'm leaning more towards the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th or even 1st. Our friends needing the triple room are wanting to keep costs down and I'm having a very hard time finding quaint, french style room with AC at a bargain price! I'm thinking their top price would be 160 Euros for a triple room. Any suggestions??? I've found no room at the inn so to speak at numerous places such as hotel Dieu; hotel Dusquene; hotel Andrea Rivoli. It seems like any good deal I find has NO AC. We'll be there June 9th and while it might be cool enough at night, this is a light sleeping crowd who needs the AC for good sleeping. Thanks for any help! Melissa
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 10:07 PM

Have a look at the Hotel Jardins d'Eiffel - there are several reviews on tripadvisor. We had a triple with view of the Eiffel Tower there some years ago. it has air conditioning. We got a good price through venere.com.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I just emailed them....crossing my fingers that they have room and the price is ok. Great tip, thank you. Melissa
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:19 AM

i enjoyed the timhotel palais royal.
it is in a very quaint neighborhood , excellent restaurants nearby, gallerie vivienne, and a bus at the door to the marais.

not sure they have triples.

the louvre two blocks. comedie francais is behind the place, with its porticoed arcades of boutiques and fine dining.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:23 AM

July 2 years ago I booked a double and a triple in Hotel Monge. Good A/C, great location. I paid around 90 euros a night per room.

It has good reviews here from fellow fodor visitors, which you'll find if you search.

www.hotelmonge.com
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:29 AM

Here's a very helpful website:

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com

My kids just stayed at Hotel du College de France in the 5th. Eight minute walk to Notre Dame.

We paid 120 euro for a triple although it was VERY small. I don't know about A/C. But the website has many, many options.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:44 AM

I would also recommend the Hotel Residence Monge.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM

Hotel Residence Monge. I just had to cancel with them for May because they don't have quads and my son just joined our trip. They were very nice and responded quickly to my emails. They also have A/C!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:40 AM
MaureenB

We are a family of four, and we stayed at Hotel la Bourdonnais, in the 7th and liked it very much. Nice-sized quad room for our family, with A/C and a lift. GREAT view of the Eiffel Tower from our little balcony (room 503). Friendly front desk, too. Offered a simple breakfast buffet, but we chose to visit Rue Cler in the mornings, for coffee, croissants, crepes and fresh fruit. A nice market next door to the hotel was handy, too. Metro stop on the corner, Batobus stop close by, too, at the Eiffel Tower. Even an ATM machine at the corner bank. Loved the location and the upscale neighborhood. An easy walk through the Champs de Mars to the Eiffel Tower.
>-

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Darn! I thought we might have found the perfect location and price with Hotel Monge, but they don't have any rooms for our date. I'll check out the other recommendations and please send more!!! Thank you! Melissa
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

oh, also Hotel Jardins d'Eiffel doesn't have triple rooms, so our friends would have to pay 200 Euros EACH for TWO rooms. So, that's out!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:40 AM

missymissy:

You might want to investigate the Hotel Bonaparte. It’s a two-sar hotel in the center of things, with AC in the rooms. Many Fodorites praise it. I’m spending two weeks there in May

www.hotelbonaparte.fr
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:21 AM

I think you may be expecting too much. I don't think some of these hotels being named are really quaint, either, just small and budget and have AC (eg, the Monge and from the photos I've seen, the Bonaparte is not quaint, either). It's the quaint thing that I'm not sure about or what to suggest, because that's a real problem given your price and that you want AC. I might think of several quaint hotels in that range (eg, Champ du Mars), but they don't have AC and the ones that do have AC cost more or aren't quaint. And then you want the most expensive areas, so it's a real problem. I am thinking you are using that quaint term very loosely and just don't mean a huge modern business hotel.

The Familia in the 5th, it is just in that top price range around 160 for a triple, but I don't think it has AC, although its slightly-pricier sister hotel, the Minerve does
http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h7...miliahotel.htm

This hotel has a good St Germain location AC and rates starting around 120 euro. The website seems to have a lot of info missing, but the reservation form will give quotes. http://www.saintgermainparishotel.com/

I think the 2* Clement in St Germain has AC and is in that range:
http://www.clement-moliere-paris-hot.../Frameset.html

How about the Grand Hotel Leveque in the 7th? http://www.hotel-leveque.com/

that's all I can think of now
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:31 AM

The Hôtel Duquesne-Eiffel in the 7ème meets your criteria.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:51 AM

Our family of 4 with 2 teens stayed at the Hotel du Palais Bourbon in July 2005. We had a wonderful two room family suite for 170 euros/night. The teens stayed in a connecting small bedroom with 2 twin beds. They had their own shower and sink next to their bedroom. They loved having their own room. The larger bedroom was very spacious. Lovely full bathroom with tub and shower off larger bedroom. I believe less expensive triple rooms were available. Located on the same street as the Musee Rodin and an easy and pleasant 15-20 minute walk to the Eiffel Tower. We passed the Rue Cler enroute to the Tower. A/C worked well. Hotel is a two star- not luxurious but very clean, quiet and charming. My sister-in-law traveled with us. She had a small but pleasant room. Great continental breakfast too- fabulous coffee!

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 10:32 AM

Here's a quaint old place where we stayed. The rooms are a bit old, but it is a nice location and we liked it a lot. It was very comfortable.

http://www.hotel-langlois.com/en/index.html
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 10:44 AM

I just checked. They have triples and AC.

Another idea is that we sometimes travel with a twin sized blow up mattress for our 2 year old daughter. It is pretty light and comfy for her. Would the 13 year old agree to that? You can pick them up on sale for $20 or so without the pump. For that price you could even ditch it if it got too heavy. Don't forget to bring a pump though! Coleman makes a nice one that runs on batteries. You could ditch the batteries if that got too heavy too.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 10:46 AM

The problem with an air mattress is that many double hotel rooms in Paris would literally not have space for it. Also, if the fire code says the room is for 2 people, the hotel would be violating the law by allowing 3.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 10:48 AM
MaureenB

"Quaint" is a difficult term to define, but I can say the Hotel la Bourdonnais is not a big, modern hotel. We also like to avoid the chain-type hotels. It's small- to medium-sized, set on a very pretty tree-lined avenue, with a nice entry way, and with pretty decorations. It's not luxurious, but we were very happy for the price we paid for four people in their quad/family room ($225/night through Expedia in May 2005).
>-

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:00 AM

I think the Langlois is a good idea, I didn't know they had AC.

I don't think the air mattress will work in Parisian hotels. It would be a lot to lug around, and a 13 year old is a lot bigger than a toddler. It really isn't up to the guests to decide how many people to cram into a hotel room, either, it's up to the hotel and they charge accordingly. If they allow three, they will have a triple rate and room for that, and some kind of bed available. It may be a larger double, but if they allow three people in the room, they will say so and have a rate already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -