I'm planning an Italy trip

Nov 20th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Bestmommiedearest

I'm planning an Italy trip

This is my first question so please bear with me. What are your thought re tours to Tuscany? I think I need a tour, as I'm traveling alone. I don't think I'm old, but it seems everyone who is younger than I am thinks so!! I do not want a senior tour, because my fellow 70 year olds have tended to be REALLY old, in attitude, energy, and sense of adventure. I'll appreciate input

Nov 20th, 2003, 03:02 PM
rfb

Dear BMD

Everything depends on exactly what you want to do. If your plans for Tuscany are limited to Florence, you probably don't need a tour. If you want to visit a lot of the countryside, well, then maybe you do. Personally, I would never take a tour anyplace; but, I've been travelling on my own for a long time and I'm a male who doesn't look like an easy mark.

I love your attitude about 'senior' tours (I'm not too far from that age myself). So what I think you should do, is make a base for yourself, probably in Florence and look over the hotel brochures to select outside trips you think you might enjoy and take them on that basis. For seeing the city, most everything is within reasonable walking distance.

You didn't ask ... but. Can't you talk one of your friends into going with you? You'll have a lot better time than going alone.

Nov 20th, 2003, 03:08 PM

Check out if Elderhostel has tours to Tuscany. Nobody's old in attitude there!
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:29 PM

Perhaps this might interest you...

http://www.classicjourneys.com/
Nov 20th, 2003, 08:08 PM

Here are two more you can look at.

http://www.italianhorizons.com/

and for wine tours

http://www.vinaio.com/home.html

Nov 21st, 2003, 05:40 AM

I don't think you need a tour at all. If you are adventurous then go for it. My 60 year young mother went backpacking with me in Northern Italy last fall. We did the hosteling, backpacks, the whole deal. We had the best time. The Italians seem to be very considerate of their elders, so I think you would always be able to find people to help if it was needed.