Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm not a Rick Steves quickly see it & move on type, so how many nights for Rome?

I'm not a Rick Steves quickly see it & move on type, so how many nights for Rome?

Jan 6th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

We're are looking at possibilities for a trip this winter. Go-today has a nice package deal that includes Rome. I just don't know how many nights I would want to stay there. We've travelled extensively in Europe, but the only time I was in Rome was 35 years ago for a few days and frankly I don't remember much.

Most of the other major cities we've been to we've dedicated about 4-5 nights. By that time we're ready for a change of pace. In fact, many of our recent trips we've rented a house or apartment in the countryside for 4-5 nights and just done more low key less tourist oriented things. This trip would be different--just cities with no rental car. While we would certainly do many of the typical tourist things, we also can amuse ourselves just visiting typical neighborhoods, visiting colorful markets, just walking around, people watching and hitting places that are off the beaten track. We're at ease using local transportation, don't need places that cater to English speaking tourists and would be fine with an interesting day trip or two.

From reading this forum I also know that Rome is one of those place people either love or hate, so this comes into play too for me. Frankly, I have no interest in visiting parts of a city that are just a major business district or fancy shopping street that has high end stores one could find anywhere else in the world.

So, how many nights would you suggest? thanks.
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Given what you like to do and what is available in Rome I would give myself at least three full DAYS at the minimum.
Jan 6th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Pausanias

I'd say you could spend at least a week, unless you have two, in which two weeks would be fine, unless you can manage three . . .

Seriously, Rome is not a business center, that's Milan. The shopping district is good for people watching. The rest of the city is a treasure house.

But just to make sure you don't get bored, take two or three nights and visit Naples.

Jan 6th, 2006, 06:25 AM

3 days would be the absolute minimum, and just scratching the surface at that. You can easily spend a week there with out getting bored. The historical center is a treasure. Everywhere you look there's something else to see (a building, a relic, a statue, a fresco, a mossaic, etc).
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Well,I spent a month there ,and that wasn't enough!
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:30 AM
dcd

To cover the A list of things to see in Rome and some of the B list, I'd plan for at least 5 nights there which would allow for a more leisurely sightseeing pace. If you haven't been to Pompeii, I highly recommend it. It's a relatively easy day trip in which case I'd add another night in Rome unless you decide get a place in Naples for a night or two. There are other day trip possibilites from Rome which could lengthen your stay there. We love Rome. Dave
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:59 AM

A week.
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Just went for 4 nights. Didnt have time to see the SISTINE CHAPEL. Line was 10 blocks if not more. Totally disappointed. There is a treasure around every corner - it is very busy I found, and preferred the smaller charm of Florence. You need to decide what interests you - aqueducts - my hubby wanted to see that - didnt have time. Make a list of things you want to see, and decide from there. The Vatican is a FULL DAY.
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:48 AM

1 week
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:14 AM

5 to 7 days.
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Depends how long you're going to be away altogether. What else is included in the package? I took a Gotoday package to Paris for three nights and Rome for five nights with my daughter. We squeezed a lot in, including a day trip to Pompeii, and really enjoyed it. I thought five nights was a good time but then I went back to Rome the next winter for six more nights. There is a lot to see in Rome, more than any other place I've ever been.
Jan 6th, 2006, 08:34 AM

I agree, there is SO much to see in Rome. I was there for five nights in Sept and barely scratched the surface. Good advice to make a list of your must-see places, that would help determine how many days you need.
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Hi Jules,

I was in Rome for a total of 6 nights in Sept too and, like Susan, scratched the surface. I'm a fairly ambitious sightseer and was going from early morning to late night.

One of my days was spent going out to tivoli to see Hadrian's Villa and Villa d'Este. Very lovely day trip and easy to do.

That said, I would recommnd Pompeii as the #1 + Rome choice. 2 nights in/around Naples would be fabulous.

Buon viaggio!
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Hi julies, I would stay in Rome as long as I could. As others have said there are daytrips you can take when you want to get out of Rome. Being settled in one place in Rome and not having to pack and unpack should certainly add time and relaxation to your visit. I happen to be on the list of those that "love Rome" so my viewpoint is that one can never spend enough time in Rome.

Basically it seems to me most (not all of course) visitors that do not like Rome are either there when it is very hot and humid, have travelled from place to place very quickly so they are tired and frazzled and/or do not allow themselves enough time to unwind and really get acquainted with Rome. And off course some people really dislike large cities.

Best wishes to you with your decision. I hope you find Rome a beautiful destination.
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Go-today has trips that combine Rome with either Paris or Venice. I've been to both places but Venice was 35 years ago. If we do this trip we'd add our days on the Rome end of the trip; that's why I'm asking.